Skiing at night

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skiing at night

Adk Jeff
Has anyone been out night skiing?  And I don’t mean lift-served skiing under the lights at the local ski hill.  I’m talking about nighttime ski touring with a headlamp.

I got out for about an hour and a half in last night’s snow storm after snowblowing the driveway and getting the kids tucked in for the night.  My wife thinks I’m crazy, the temperature was already -7F.  

Last night’s ski was my 4th or 5th night patrol so far this year.  I’ll probably go again tonight.  I ski trails that are on county-owned forestland at the end of our street, the same trails that I hit for my out-the-backdoor mountain bike rides.  Just like night riding can be a whole new mountain biking experience, a night tour opens up new ski possibilities, especially if you’ve got a daytime job and want to maximize your snow time.  

I use my mountain biking light for skiing at night.  Mine’s a MagicShine with something like 1000 lumens, which is more than enough light to ski by.

Anybody else getting out at night?  If so, where do you ski, how long do you stay out, and what kind of light do you use?

Last night's ski tour:

-7F selfie:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Skiing at night

MC2 5678F589
I was actually thinking of doing that last night.

But then I decided to watch football and do laundry instead.

I like skiing, but not enough to go out by myself in negative temperatures at night to skate around on flat terrain. Guess I'm not that hardcore.

I would be up for a slide ski or ski area mission on a full moon night with a bunch of people, though. That sounds like more fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
mattchuck2 wrote
I was actually thinking of doing that last night.
But then I decided to watch football and do laundry instead.
The beer was calling pretty loud after I got done blowing out the driveway, but I couldn't let all that beautiful snow go unskied.  

mattchuck2 wrote
I would be up for a slide ski or ski area mission on a full moon night with a bunch of people, though. That sounds like more fun.
I'm in.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That is a great idea. Not the type of skiing I do, but it certainly would be cool as hell on a moon lit night.

Certain trails would be better than others, no? Cloud, Sunway, BR. Wilmington trail if at Face.