Small trailer and what to pull it with?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
213 messages Options
1234567 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Small trailer and what to pull it with?

Marcski
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That airstream is nice but how about this:

Warren Miller at Donner Pass in '48. That little bump in the snow behind the car is his camper
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Here's a nice looking trailer:
Holy shit it should be for $36K !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
We picked up a used 16 ft trailer a year ago.  We tossed around the idea of a Sprinter Van, but didn't want to drive our house.  We like to base camp for a week or so and like SB said, we don't want to have to unrig to go to the store. We've mountain biked in North Caroline, spent a week in Acadia, and a few 4 day weekends in the northeast.  Most of our camping has been off the grid, so no hook ups, etc.  Our next big adventure will be Nova Scotia this summer for 2 weeks.  We tow it with our Jeep Grand Cherokee, so no need for a new or an extra vehicle.  We are retiring in 2018 and are already planning a multi-month trip.  Free camping for up to 2 weeks on Nat. Forest and BLM lands out west.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Used trailer seems to the most economical option. Ability to tow it with different vehicles is a huge  plus. And you can find one super cheap on Craigslist.

My only problem with it is that it eliminates the "stealth camping" option. Sometimes, I think I'd like to park, say, on a city street in Bozeman, Montana for a couple of days.

Another small issue is that I like the idea of just climbing in back if I need to (for example, if it's raining, I don't want to have to leave the vehicle, run around the back of my camper, unlock it, and jump inside). I thought this was an interesting, out of the box solution:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/92322-Hello-All-My-first-post-Here-is-my-simple-custom-GMC-Cube-Van-conversion
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Any trailers made to be better, warmer in the winter ? A standard trailer/camper seems like it would be hard to keep warm when it's cold. Would use lots of propane, then trips to refill. Just a thought.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Pop-up trailers are for shit in winter. Mine is a non-starter, like winter camping in a hammock.  A  tent on the ground is way warmer. Some travel trailer manufacturers brag about how well insulated their units are but overall, you're correct. Vans aren't usually well insulated either though. If you build out your own, it's an important detail to think about. I think trying to keep the interior warm overnight is folly. Let it get cold and stay inside a warm sleeping bag (or two bags, one inside the other).
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Here's something that looks promising. The article I saw on them said they came in around 4-6k based on features but I had a tough time navigating the website.
http://hikertrailer.net
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thats another good article. Are you in the market? Or just killing time dreaming like me? Here's another good option, kind of similar to what that guys doing but a lot more refined. This one has a pop-up but I think it's just for more headroom, not an upper bunk.

https://www.reconcampers.com

Going for an old conversion van (they used to do them on mini vans too) with the back seat that folds down into a bed and just tailgating with a camping stove is probably the cheapest way to go though
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This looks interesting. Custom built tear drop camper and the guy is presumably near Albany so you could check him out in person before making a deal. If he's legit, he does beautiful work.
http://albany.craigslist.org/rvs/6098270515.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
There's a point at which the DIY impulse leads you down the wrong path...

This could be yours
https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/for/6185770663.html
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I bet he makes great guitars.  Or at least great half-guitars.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah, the old truck + old camper solution is very tempting. If my wife could tolerate something like that sitting in the driveway I would have one already. You reminded me of something I saw on Cape cod a couple weeks back... full on DIY truck camper

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
How do you get into that? It looks like a window not a door on the back.  Do you open the tailgait and crawl in?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
There's a full door behind the tailgate. I guess he drops the bike rack, opens the tailgate and has it as a little porch. The top pops up for headroom and over-cab bed access.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
1234567 ... 11