Snow Stakes, where are they?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snow Stakes, where are they?

rfarren
I was wondering where Whiteface's and Gore's snow stakes are? I just read that Killington's snow stake is at 4000 ft, and I think it's unfair to claim 250 inches a year when most of the terrain is well below that.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snow Stakes, where are they?

Harvey
Administrator
Gore doesn't use a snow stake. They take three measurements from around the base area and average them - 1500 feet.  I find Gore's numbers to be legit. Our place is at 2000 feet +/- and I regularly measure slightly more than what Gore reports. Another oddity - we had 2-3 inches over the last few days and Gore did not report an accumulation.  That seems to happen fairly often.

I'm also curious about how Whiteface measures snow totals.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
Harvey44 wrote
Gore doesn't use a snow stake. They take three measurements from around the base area and average them - 1500 feet.  I find Gore's numbers to be legit. Our place is at 2000 feet +/- and I regularly measure slightly more than what Gore reports. Another oddity - we had 2-3 inches over the last few days and Gore did not report an accumulation.  That seems to happen fairly often.

I'm also curious about how Whiteface measures snow totals.
Gore takes it's season totals from the base? So is the 150 inches a year that sticks out in my head from the base? It must be more up on the upper mountain.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
In my backyard. Has 20 inches on it right now. Here on the river just up from Glens Falls.