classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Solitude, Utah 2/24/13

Rochester Mark
This post was updated on .
We arrived in SLC the evening of the 23rd and settled into the house we had rented. By the time we got to bed it was quite late but we were determined to get up early and head to Solitude for what promised to be a great powder day. Solitude along with Powder Mtn. are my two favorite ski areas in Utah. Not the two biggest or flashiest areas but they have the layed back vibe I like. Solitude was reporting 11" of fresh snow and more from the previous day so things looked promising. Our plan was to ski the frontside Sunday and go back Monday when I fiqured they would drop the ropes on Honeycomb Canyon. The ski patrol usually doesn't open Honeycomb the first day after a storm due to avy danger so its usually a great place to hit the 2nd day after the storm and not very crowded. I've had days when we've lapped it 7-8 times  (about what you can do in one good day) and been pretty much the only ones there. We skied the frontside for the first 2-3 hours and it became apparent that they were going to open Honeycomb much to my suprise. At this point we were joined by our friend Matt who lives in SLC and is the person who first showed me the ropes in Honeycomb for which I'm eternally grateful! When we got to the gate we were somewhat dismayed to see there was about 50 people ahead of us. As we made the long traverse out people started to drop off into the canyon because they couldn't resist the sweet lines below. From experience we know to keep going all the way out where you'll get the best snow and longest vert for your efforts. By the time we got out where we wanted to ski there were only 2 people left ahead of us and they kept going. Alot of work but well worth it. After skiing powder all morning and it being our first day at altitude we could only manage 3 laps but what a great first day!                                                                                                                        

After the hike

Yours truly skiing Honeycomb Canyon

Aaron skiing the sweet lines of Honeycomb

All photo credits go to KSHofsass Photography (thats why they're so nice!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Solitude, Utah 2/24/13

Adk Jeff
RM, that second photo is absolutely fantastic.  Man, I'd kill to take - or to be in - that photo.  Kudos to photographer and skier.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
Adk Jeff, thanks. The photographer is my son Kyle and IMHO he does have an eye for a great shot. Not only do I get to ski with him but afterwards we get to look back on his photos. PS, Yes,the skiing was as nice as it looked!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Nice. Incredible pics.

Back to back reports from Big Sky and Solitude on this forum, two out of the three areas out west I'd most like to ski (anyone got a report from Jackson Hole tomorrow to make me feel like the universe is trying to tell me something?).