Southwest Dacks BC?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Southwest Dacks BC?

David
There's a chance I'll be moving to the Utica area. Not right away, but in a year or two. I'd be an easy day trip from Gore, so that's exciting. I know there are trails all over that part of the Adirondack Park, but I'm wondering what kind of skiable spots there are. I'm not asking anyone to share their stashes -- though if you're willing to PM me, I won't turn that down -- just to confirm that I could get out there within an hour or so of home, or any other thoughts on the whole thing. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Southwest Dacks BC?

Harvey
Administrator
Of the variables snowfall, vert and distance what are your priorities?

I'm not the guy to answer this but there is at least one forum member that I would consider an expert for this question.

Maybe he'd provide some general info for the forum.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

David
Thanks, Harv. I'm not terribly picky. Where I live now has some nice stashes when the snow is good, but the snow is inconsistent, the season is short, and the runs are short, since it's only big hills here. I like to get out for just a couple of hours if I get some free time during the week, then on weekends when I can't get out for an all-day or most-of-the-day outing, I now enjoy an hour or two out of the house. I have to think there are many options an hour or so from Utica, and that they get more snow and are longer and more interesting than what I have now. Maybe if this does happen, I could hook up with a veteran of the area. Or maybe get together this coming winter a time or two. I might have a decision to make in a year or two, and I'd like to know more about the possibilities.Also, for what it's worth: What can folks here share about the nearby lift-served areas nearby? I guess I could get out a map, but I'm thinking MaCauley, Snow Ridge are the most promising. What about Woods Valley, anywhere else? Of course, with Gore about two hours, that's going to be in the mix a lot if this happens.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
yes there is plenty of skiing within 2 hrs of Utica resembling the looks of this

and occasionally this

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
You could mess around at Pixley falls just south of Boonville for your 3 hr tours. Good lake effect snow area, but only 200-300 vert shots. One side of the road involves a river crossing which can be fun in and of itself

Reply | Threaded
|

David
Those look like the state forests in my neck of the woods, though with deeper snow than we usually get. Is that "occasionally this" photo from inside the park, by the way?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
David wrote
Those look like the state forests in my neck of the woods, though with deeper snow than we usually get. Is that "occasionally this" photo from inside the park, by the way?
They all are except the ones in the Pixley post