classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

State Acquires 6200 Acres: MacIntyre East

Harvey
Administrator
The state has acquired a 6,200-acre tract next to the High Peaks Wilderness that includes long stretches of the Hudson and Opalescent rivers, making them easily accessible to flatwater paddlers.

The state bought the property for $4.24 million from the Adirondack Nature Conservancy as part of a multi-year agreement to acquire sixty-five thousand acres of former Finch, Pruyn & Company lands. It is now open to the public.

Known as MacIntyre East, the property lies between Mount Adams and Allen Mountain and just east of the road leading to the Upper Works Trailhead in Newcomb. Last year, the state bought a companion tract known as MacIntyre West, which lies on the other side of the road.

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2015/04/state-acquires-6800-acres-of-ex-finch-land.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: State Acquires 6200 Acres: MacIntyre East

MC2 5678F589
Didn't know the state owned that McIntyre West track. Right near a certain slide that (I think) was pictured earlier in the ADK backcountry thread . . .

A big question appears to be: what about the roads? I was thinking of a bike/ski combo in this area that would be helped by the opening of certain routes.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
mattchuck2 wrote
 Right near a certain slide that (I think) was pictured earlier in the ADK backcountry thread . . .
correct
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
My cousin owns a camp in at the Opalescent Club that is now getting more and more valuable as all the other Finch lease camps are going away. I go up there couple times a year it’s beautiful back in there. I always thought I’d one day get the gumption to X/C ski into his camp, so far haven’t. He has paddled the stream behind his camp down quite a ways not as far as the Hudson. Good time to go there next week or so just before the flies are out and snow is gone.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
That's Rist Mt. with Opalescent river in front last spring a bit later in year than now.Leaves are getting going. There are tons of logging roads back in there some old some still driveable and some better that Haviland Ave in Glens Falls. Sarcasm gets me no where