Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Storm Speculation: 12/26/10

Plattekill alert
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

My Quebec trip looks like it will be delay by a day because of the storm and bad Chinese food..General 1-2 ft snowfall through out the region looks reasonable..Yes Harv you too..Maybe not 2' , but you should have some fresh to play in..
"Peace and Love"
Raymo40 Raymo40
Reply |

7:35 pm No snow yet in Ballston Spa.
SnowflakeADK SnowflakeADK
Reply |

Maybe 2 inches here in Lake George area.  Wind is just cranking!  
sudsnbumps sudsnbumps
Reply |

17 inches in Northern Bergen County NJ...Campgaw would have been a powder paradise at 299 vertical feet but we delayed our trip north and didn't get there until 2pm...no skiing today
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
adkskier adkskier
Reply |

Re: Storm Speculation: 12/26/10 - Feet on the street in North Creek

Not a flake...not even a dusting here in Johnsburg (aka North Creek). Lot of wind all day. Gore reported wind holds on 3 lifts.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I'd say we got an inch or two in North River. Somehow it's snowing now above 1500 feet. And the stars are out.

According to Brent (AlbanyWxExaminer) a town in Bergen County checked in with 32 inches. That was the highest total I saw.

I went out last night at the height of the storm and it was pretty incredible.

One thing I've learned in Nor'easters ... if we don't get any mixed precip in downtown flatlands ... the Adks are too far west.

Man the wind is really rippin. Kinda scary.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sudsnbumps sudsnbumps
Reply |

I don't know how anyone down there could get an accurate count...the wind was incredible.  My mom (Ramsey, NJ) said they had already plowed her out and when we showed up at 2 there was a wind drift probably 6 feet high.  Along I-95 there was snow from South Carolina all the way up. a lot in North Carolina, very little around DC and tons in NJ Cars were burried everywhere on the highway.  I am interested to find out where the best skiing was today, taking into consideration the wind and the snow...I am guessing I will need my best edges tomorrow at Gore?  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

sudsnbumps wrote
..I am guessing I will need my best edges tomorrow at Gore?

I don't know how they could blow snow or groom right now. Any hardpack that you turned in machine groomed would disappear.

This is pretty cool time-lapse photo from the nor'easter in the flatlands. Not sure how many inches it records, but it's a lot. It's VIMEO so let it fully load before playing it:

December 2010 Blizzard Timelapse from Michael Black on Vimeo.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp