classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stratton, Vermont April 3, 2013

nelsap
What an awesome day at Stratton!

I know a lot of you either like the area, or hate it....for those that don't like it, going midweek makes the place a completely different area. There's never a liftline, the trails are in great shape, you can get a ton of runs in. I have never really seen any kind of snobby attitude either midweek. I know on weekends it can be different.

Yesterday was just one of those crazy good days. The only drawback was strong winds, which resulted in the gondola running only a short time. The Sun Bowl was closed for the season but not for lack of cover.

The whole front of the mountain was open and in perfect shape, with barely any ice, and certainly no bare spots. The area was in prime midwinter shape. Summit temps were in the teens, rising to 20's, and the base only got up to 30, keep the snow dry and cold.

It was cruise country for me yesterday...fast run after run. By 345, I had done 35 runs and 40100' vertical...the most I had skied in ten years in one day!

Runs of the day were Upper Spruce, Upper Midlebrook, and World Cup - which was groomed - a steep wide open cruiser.

It may have been my last eastern day this year due to my schedule, but I got 2 more days out west at Vail coming up. It really put an exclamation mark at the end of this extended season.

View from the summit - of the High Peaks in NY

View of the High Peaks

Upper Polar Bear, looking towards Magic
Top of Polar Bear

Upper Tamarack
Upper Tamarack

Closeup of nearby Bromley
Bromley
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stratton, Vermont April 3, 2013

Cornhead
Thanks for the TR, love the view of Bromely. Bromley is one of those places I keep driving by in my travels that I've yet to ski, same with Magic. I skied Stratton a few years back, they had just received a foot prior to my arrival, some of the nicest pictures I've ever taken while skiing, every pic I took looks like a postcard.