Sugarbush, Vermont Feb 6, 2015

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sugarbush, Vermont Feb 6, 2015

nelsap
I had a few hours to ski at Sugarbush before our Board meeting, and tried to squeeze in as much skiing as possible. It was quite cold, near 0 with gusty winds and light snow. Snow conditions were fantastic, about as good as I've ever seen there. I stuck mostly to the groomers, but did hit up Moonshine, a trail I haven't skied in many years as it is always closed when I have been there. It is a favorite, as it an old fashioned trail with scattered trees but not a true glade, and is all natural.

Birch Run to Sleeper was and will always be one of my favorite runs - cruising pitch with numerous tree islands and glades.

Too cold to take many photos but here are a few.

Jeremy

Top of Super Bravo

Top of Moonshine looking up

Looking down Moonshine
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarbush, Vermont Feb 6, 2015

ml242
Looks like Moonshine got knocked down pretty recently. I love Sugarbush, I wish I could have skied it once with the Gondola top to bottom instead of the current lift system. Pods have some advantages, but the original maps make Paradise, Downspout, and Domino look like far more interesting trails than what they have now as Jester and Downspout are rendered mere "roads to elsewhere" in some respects than signature trails. Domino is actually pretty overlooked though and Lower Birdland is a nice compensation prize for under the lift skiing. The rocky double fall line was left pretty intact with a lot of character that would have been stamped out elsewhere.

Did you get up Castlerock?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarbush, Vermont Feb 6, 2015

nelsap
Didn't get to Castlerock, though it looked good from various vantage points.
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org