Sugarbush, Vermont Feb 7, 2012

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sugarbush, Vermont Feb 7, 2012

nelsap
Had a great day at Sugarbush on the 07th!

Went with my friend Mark from work, we had the Warren Miller vouchers to use up. What a nice day to ski...temps in the 20's, some light snow from time to time, and no crowds at all. I mean no crowds at all...it was more empty at Sugarbush than any other place I've skied this year, including midweek!

I hadn't skied there in 10 years or more, and was reminded during this visit how much I enjoyed the mountain. Fast lifts, awesome terrain, friendly staff, and the mountain to oneself.

We started at Lincoln Peak, made some runs off the Gate House and North Lynx...Birch Run was/is my favorite on the mountain off of Lynx, tree islands and scattered trees, groomed and fast!

View from Birch Run
View from Birch Run

The rest of Lincoln Peak was decent, Murphy's Glades off Super Bravo was particularly nice, as was Jester. We did Ripcord twice...I had not skied that one before, that is one steep groomer! In the past it was bumped up when I went and I don't do double diamond bump runs, as I'm terrible in moguls at that pitch.

View of Lincoln Peak from Super Bravo
View of Lincoln Peak from Super Bravo

Base of the Super Bravo Express
Base of the Super Bravo Express

View from the Super Bravo

After lunch we went to Mt. Ellen which was even more empty, and at 2pm it was getting dark in the shadow of the mountain and colder. Elbow and Lookin Good were great.

Mount Ellen from Northridge Express
Mount Ellen from Northridge Express

View from Elbow on Mount Ellen

So, was good to be back and hope to make an annual trip there as it isn't terribly far, at 109 miles.

JD

Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarbush, Vermont Feb 7, 2012

x10003q
Thanks for the report and the great shots really capture the place. Sugarbush is one of my all time favorites. I wish it was an easier drive from NJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Beautiful! We were going to go to Sugarbush last year but got lazy and went to Killington because it was closer to where we were staying..now I wish we went!
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
I was at Mt. Ellen Tuesday with my friend!  We probably saw you!  I agree, the blue cruisers were phenomenal.  The black diamonds were dicey!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
The Bush is a great place. It's possible to get an impression of it in a day, but it'd be easy to spend a week (or season, or lifetime) there. It won't ever be as big as Mansfield or get the snow of Jay but it makes the best compromises across the board in almost every category. I really dig it there.

Can't beat the price you paid, either. Glad to see another report... what's next on the TR list?
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Conditions sound not all that different than in Tahoe!

I still have my Warren Miller coupon. I hope to get there this season to use it. Maybe Snowmonkey will join me.

Hopefully she'll post something about her Vt ski exploits