Sugarloaf Tips?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sugarloaf Tips?

snowmonkey
My boyfriend and I are thinking about going to Sugarloaf in March.  The lodging options up there seem pretty limited, just the Sugarloaf hotel, the Sugarloaf Mtn Inn, and the condos, so I was wondering if anyone on these boards has been up there and knows of any other moderately priced options.  We're not against staying at the Inn, which seems the best option for us, but just curious about other options.  

Also, does anyone have any "must do's" while we're up there?  Trails or "features" that might be a bit off the beaten paths but are definitely worth checking out?  I am a pretty solid intermediate skier and can handle most eastern black diamonds, and am just starting to venture into the glades.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarloaf Tips?

SIAWOL
Actually a ton of lodging options. The ones you list are just the ones brokered through the mountain...

Try VRBO.com. Should come up with some other choices.

The Loaf is a fabulous skiers' mountain. Some tips from my days up there (I'm sure MattChuck2 will chime in as well):
-start the morning on the east side and follow the sun (east side is the one with Ripsaw, Misery Whip, Haulback...)
-for someone who is a strong intermediate/budding advanced skier...Hayburner and King's Landing are some of the best trails around
-ram pasture, broccoli garden, and swedish fiddle are great glades for intermediate/advanced. A lot of the other ones can either be markedly more difficult or may not be as pruned as cleanly.
-the snowfields (front and back) are the real deal. They are steep and are do not fall zones. Be sure you're ready--once you commit there's no place to bail out.
-its widely regarded--and rightfully so--that the bagburger at "the bag" restaurant in the village is awesome.
-stop in seth wescott's place at on the access road for a beer and dinner one night. the rack i think its called
-its a big mountain with lots of choices, but certain trails are quintessential Loaf skiing: misery whip, bubblecuffer, winter's way, gondi line, narrow gauge, and double bitter are ones I hit every time I'm there
-haulback is usually 1/2 bumped and 1/2 groomed
-tote road is an awesome, long cruiser. But its a favorite with families and can get crowded.

Haven't been up there since they've opened Burnt mountain so I can't comment on that.

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  I've stayed at the Mountain View several times http://www.mountainviewmotelmaine.com/ 6 miles from the hill, modest accommodations, modest prices, no frills other than some rooms have fully equipped kitchenettes. My first stay there was in late Spring and they gave me a room with a kitchenette for the price of one without, it was nice. The room was paneled with pine, the kitchenette came with pots, pans, utensils, plates, cups, bowels, and silverware. Everything you need, but food.

If you can change your trip to February, you might consider attending the AlpineZone Summit http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/124758-AlpineZone-Summit-5-0-at-Sugarloaf-Mountain-February-7-9-2014 It's a great deal and you can stay right at the hill. I've actually crashed their party the last two years while staying at the Mountain View. I couldn't find anyone to fulfill the double occupancy requirement. Not sure if that was due to my sparkling personality, or the 9 hour drive? It was all good, I met a fellow forum member who gets a Sugarloaf season's pass every year. This meant his tickets from the deal weren't need. He gave them to me two years ago. I split the cost of his stay last year, basically a twofer for me. You need not associate with forum members if you wish, but all I met were great. Guides are provided for the group also.

If you can fit it into your schedule, Saddleback is nearby, 30 miles or so. I've skied it once, but the upper mountain wasn't open. I tried to ski it after the AZ Summit last year, but they didn't open due to wind. I hear great things about the terrain, and glades on the upper mountain. Hopefully I'll find out for myself this year, third time's the charm, I hope. If you do decide to ski Saddleback, $30 lift tickets can be had here, along with other discounts for a full year. http://www.mountainsportsclub.com/ Either way, you'll have a great time at da Loaf, it's an amazing mountain. Have fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
That Alpinezone deal is a pretty sweet price. I'll echo the thoughts on King's Landing, Hayburner, and Tote Road. I'll also add Narrow Guage and the King Pine area (all the way to the left of the trail map - skier's right) for upper intermediate groomed Cruisers. Great groomers all over that mountain. I usually started off the SuperQuad and branched out from there.

For lunch, we spent a lot of time at the Deli in the base village (I think it's just called "The Deli"). They have great sandwiches and soups with homemade bread. Also, there's a tiny little lodge below the timberline lift on the far right side of the trail map (skier's left) that has really good chili with minimal crowds (because the place is in the middle of nowhere). Both the Bag and the Rack are good for burgers/after ski stuff. Also, there's the Shipyard Brewhaus for beer (I thought the food there was meh).

As far as lodging, I'd pay what it costs to stay at Sugarloaf itself. The condos, the mountain hotel, whatever. You're just closer to everything, and it's nice to basically ski to your door (the big hotel at the base is the best, but there's a lift that serves all the condos below the Whiffletree Quad). If you do go for Sugarloaf lodging, don't let them put you over in West village over by the golf course. Can't get anywhere from there.

I stayed in Kingfield once at this place: http://www.herbertgrandhotel.com/. It was super creepy (as if I was going to walk down a hallway and see two twin girls telling me to come play with them forever and ever and ever), but pretty cheap and clean enough. Nothing going on in that town, though. Probably better to stick to mountain lodging.