classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suicide 6 Course Map and Profile (MTB)

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Feeling more like spring than winter today and I'm still having fun with maps.

This is a mountain bike course but it can be XC skied or run, if you like.  It's 7-1/4 miles long and a little over 800' vert for the loop.  The trail is situated at Harriet Hollister Spencer Recreation Area near Honeoye, NY and is about 90% singletrack.  The remaining is on double track ski trails which are groomed in the winter.  The course was constructed for the annual "Suicide 6" cross-country mountain bike endurance race, which as you might guess, is a 6 hour endurance race.  For that reason, the track is often burned in quite well and usually easy to follow.  There are limited trail markers around the course but it helps to know where you are going.  If interested, I can provide the GPS trace that I used to make this map.

The course is mostly natural singletrack with very few man-made features, but is still a good ride.  It's moderately technical, intermediate skill and fitness to negotiate.  The trail is very rocky and rooty, and a full suspension bike isn't a bad idea, although it can easily be ridden on a hardtail.  Parts of the trail have decent flow, but there is a fair deal of pedaling to maintain a respectable pace.  Climbs are pretty manageable and mostly have moderate grades.

The course is spread out over about 600 acres or so, and isn't heavily trafficked except for race day, so despite cars at the trailhead, you'll unlikely run into many other riders.

The trail can be ridden in either direction, but I definitely recommend riding it counter-clockwise the first time.  This is the way the race is run and the way it is meant to be ridden.  It's considerably harder going clockwise, particularly the climbs which are steep and punchy in sections.

The trail system is built and maintained by WYNMBA and some information can be found on their website, but perhaps not very up-to-date.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Suicide 6 Course Map and Profile (MTB)

JasonWx
so many good places to ride , just not enough time

rode on Sat , real nice day
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Can't believe you are riding.  It's full-on mud season here after the snow, rain and thaw.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
it was a bit slick in spots but not bad..8 mile ride
"Peace and Love"