Tail Rocker on AT Setup? (i.e. VOLKL ONE?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tail Rocker on AT Setup? (i.e. VOLKL ONE?)

ADmiKe
This post was updated on .
As I'm researching for the possibility of putting together a AT setup, I've been wondering if tail rocker is undesirable or just won't work with skins?  I already have a daily driver skinnier set of twin tips, a pair of Mantras for softer snow (even though they are still pretty aggressive), and I also snowboard too.  So I was thinking of trying to combine accomplishing a AT and dedicated Powder ski in one shot.

So basically for an AT setup can I go with tail rocker, what's the best width(and how wide can I go) and is tip rocker acceptable as well?

I have a lead on a cheap pair of last years Volkl ONE, not sure if this is even remotely a good choice for what I'm trying to do.  On a separate note anyone have experience with the ONE? How are they?
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tail Rocker on AT Setup? (i.e. VOLKL ONE?)

ADmiKe
This post was updated on .
Too late, couldn't control myself.  Worst case scenario a dedicated POW rig! Ya know, for all that snow we've been getting this year

Me and Jon951 (who happens to be my dad) got two pair of these cheap.  Plan to get into some touring in the ADK.  Next move: gotta find a deal on some bindings.

Heading to UT in a few weeks - unfortunately won't be mounted by then I don't think - but I'm sure that's where they'd really be the most fun.

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
ADmiKe wrote
Too late, couldn't control myself.  Worst case scenario a dedicated POW rig! Ya know, for all that snow we've been getting this year

Me and Jon951 (who happens to be my dad) got two pair of these cheap.  Plan to get into some touring in the ADK.  Next move: gotta find a deal on some bindings.

Heading to UT in a few weeks - unfortunately won't be mounted by then I don't think - but I'm sure that's where they'd really be the most fun.
When my wife wakes up off the couch and sees these skis  (after freaking out when the UPS guy showed up at the door to deliver them (stealth purchase)), she's gonna ask me why the hell I purchased a pair of water skis at this time of the year! lmao.

"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
tail rocker is fine with skins.

What binding did you choose?

I think it would be a tough call, in the Daks I would imagine having the lightest set up would be best but if it's also your dedicated pow ski you probably want something beefier on there.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
You also didn't mention boots.  What are you using now, and will you add a pair of AT boots if you don't have one?  Boots can also impact binding selection.

If you go with something like a Marker Baron and you can click in with your alpine boots, although I'm not sure skinning is much fun, if even possible, without the range of motion that an AT (or at least a sidecountry hike-mode alpine) boot provides.  The Barons (or Dukes) are plenty beefy for the down.

You could go lighter with a Dynafit tech binding but that would require AT boots that accommodate the pin setup.  I've never skied Dynafits, but I've been told the connection to boot, with some travel along the pins, doesn't always feel as locked in as an alpine binding.  Anyone riding Dynafits find that?

My El Capo at 107 are a little narrower than the Ones, they have tip and tail rocker, and I had no trouble with a couple long, hard days in the BC.  I've got the Barons.  Good thing is that with that setup I've come to really enjoy the rig in bounds.  My primary use for an AT setup was never going to be multi-day BC excursions hut to hut, but 8 hour days of skinning a trail to bag an ADK slide and ski back out.  Combine that with wanting to use the setup occasionally inbounds and on powder days and the beefy setup built more for the down than for light weight on long tours made sense.

Boots I got the new model Black Diamond Factor Mx.  Swappable blocks allow you to use alpine bindings or a pin binding, and the flex rating of 120 makes them plenty stiff for an everyday boot in the resort.  My only negative experience was that the cant assembly (which screws the cuff to the lower boot) came out on my last day out in WA.  Not sure when it happened, but I didn't notice until I got home.  Something of a design flaw, and now I check to make sure they are tight each night.  BD warranty support was great about FedEx'ing replacement parts.  Otherwise, I love the boots.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!