classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
98 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TFTH, 12/18/13: there and back again.

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
When I check the snow-depth-o-meter this morning, it was obvious that I had consumed way too much coffee and really needed to go for a ski. I decided to do a full "perimeter check" and visit a few favourite hills along the way:

Further investigation revealed that the temperature was lining up with the snow depth to produce ideal conditions: a "blue day," as I like to call it:

The dog wimped out due to the snow depth. Left without a photo subject, I resorted to taking pictures of my skis breaking trail:

It was a long slog but I finally made to Secret Hill. This more exposed aspect takes a little longer to get "in condition" than our other glade, Bonk Hill. More pruning is definitely needed:

Nevertheless, turns were made but I only took one run down this glade today:

Across the valley i skied, up to the summit of Telemark Hill. Even though Utah the dog was asleep back at the house, I did a few turns around Utah's Rock:

Retracing my steps and carrying on, I hit the west face of Telemark Hill, down towards the bog:

Scenic it may look, but the ski across the bog was a bit of a suffer-fest. Imagine skiing through a foot of fresh snow that is suspended by marsh grass and shrubbery over a giant air pocket:

On reaching the other side, it was time for a break:

I looped back towards our other glade, Bonk Hill. Believe it or not, there is a lovely little powder stash hidden on that ridge in the background:

There was some up, and some down. The down is much more fun:

And so, like a Hobbit, I went there and back again, setting the trails for future adventures this winter:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TFTH: there and back again.

Harvey
Administrator
That looks awesome.  Snow is gold!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Since returning to the 9-5 working world from a free-to-ski whenever I want life of self-employment, I've had to become more flexible and creative in getting in snow time.

Last night on the way home I stopped at a local Nordic trail system just off the highway.   There was only one other car in the parking lot, and as I pulled in, a headlamp wearing skier appeared out of the woods....He offered an enthusiastic thumbs-up - then proceeded packing up as I geared up to take his place on the unlit trails....

It was snowing lightly, and therefore no moonlight to show the way...

A good headlamp is crucial.  I use a Petzl Myo XP.  Good for both trail skiing and poaching ski hill powder on AM dawn patrols...

Lots of signs show the way ...

skiing through the snow clad pines is very surreal...the pic just doesn't do it justice.

That's all for now.  

TD

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
skiing through the snow clad pines is very surreal...the pic just doesn't do it justice.

Holy moly, that is is about as surreal as it gets.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Day 12 in a row, on the snow today.  Day 20 this season!  What a change from last years abysmal start.  

Got to try the Chargers this AM on very consolidated styrofoam pow that concealed some granite nasties.. Ouch... (The skis talking.. ).  
This aft I went for a 12k track set ski.  Nice touch of soft new snow on some very glazed tracks.  The yin-yang of my morning-afternoon skiing is such a great feeling... A very tired feeling.. No staying up for 2014, it will come soon enough tomorrow and with it, a whole new ski year.  Happy New year to all the Harvey Roaders.  

TD

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave

Due to a rather nice snow accumulation overnight my return to work this AM has been cancelled....

By me.  

I suspect there might be some skiing happening very soon.

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote

Due to a rather nice snow accumulation overnight my return to work this AM has been cancelled....

By me.  

I suspect there might be some skiing happening very soon.

TD
Don't forget to wait until the snowplow has come and gone...

More coming tonight. May have to do a little night skiing after the snowblowing.

Very windy up here in the highlands.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TFTH

Sick Bird Rider
In case some of you are forgetting what real snow looks like, here are some pics from this morning. Sadly, I had to go to work so I will leave it to TD for the ski report.

This may be a new record for the Hinterlandian Snow-depth-o-meter:

The dog slays some pow on the way to the bird feeder:

I have been stockpiling snow and am thinking about going into the export business:
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
It was good.   Really good.  
I'm going to have difficulty keeping the grin off my face tommorow at work.  

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
The Chargers love that don't they!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Darkside Shaman wrote
The Chargers love that don't they!
I recall the late Allan Bard saying something to the effect of "..how did we ever ski where we did with what we did..."

My anorexic Karhu Guides aren't feeling much love these past few weeks...

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Speaking of anorexic, I went for a late afternoon tour on the trusty Fischer S-Bounds, which are a scant 78 mm underfoot. It was more of a slog than a ski.

I'm worried about the Snow-depth-o-meter, it seems to be near the breaking point:

I skied through the woods and down Bonk Hill, more or less straightlining the hill we love to turn on. My ski tracks out over the pond look more like a snowshoe trail:
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I'm worried about the Snow-depth-o-meter, it seems to be near the breaking point:
"Like!!!!!"

TD

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Gonna rename this place Niseko.  
Another too much snow to get to work day.  

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote

TD
I called your boss and suggested that he email you some drawings since you were getting so bored at home. He told me that he would be calling every hour to check on your progress.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Telemark Dave wrote

TD
I called your boss and suggested that he email you some drawings since you were getting so bored at home. He told me that he would be calling every hour to check on your progress.
Hmmmm.  "His" name is Amanda.. Just sayin'.

TD

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Now back to your regular scheduled programming ..

Returned to Pipeline this aft.  Skied lots of pow. LOTS!
And still it snowed. I made sure I didn't get there until the grumpy plow drivers had done their thing.  I arrived to a freshly plowed turn around, and in the brief hour or so I was skiing, 4 more inches accumulated.

Anyways, back to work tomorrow.  
But I'll return tomorrow night for some moonlit freshies... It's an addiction, And I just can't get enough...
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
So true to my word, I went for a night powder pillage.  There was a clear sky, a touch of moon, and the potential of a showing of the aurora borealis. There was also some cold smoke powder to use up.

The 1km ski in was wonderful. No need to use my headlamp...in fact I didn't need it for the skin up hill either.  I did use it for a couple downhill surf runs - simply amazing skiing knee deep pow at night. It was blower too, accentuated by the headlamp beam.  No action pics as SBR declined to attend - ya snooze ya loose.

Here's about the only pic that turned out.  Pretty mundane, but that's what I got.  It's on the skin up.

Td
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Well done!

I did snooze and lose but the snooze was very necessary. Heading out shortly (in the daylight) for some sampling of the remaining local goods before the upcoming "consolidation."

FYI, weather weenies report that our region has received SEVEN FEET of snowfall since Dec. 1. I have quite a stockpile if anybody wants to trade vertical feet for snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
FYI, weather weenies report that our region has received SEVEN FEET of snowfall since Dec. 1. I have quite a stockpile if anybody wants to trade vertical feet for snow.
Ain't that the truth.  If we continue to acquire snow at the current rate, it will be deeper than our hills are high!

Go get some SBR.  

TD