Tales from the Hinterland: 2018/2019 edition

45 messages Options
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2018/2019 edition

Yes! It’s great to see that you guys are “teeing off” in the Hinterland!

As always, I look forward to following along.
Telemark Dave Telemark Dave
Reply |

I sense another amazing and epic installment is nigh..

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Welcome back my brothers.

Sick Bird Rider wrote
There is some cool stuff to talk about, for example, some of our crew have negotiated permission to do some glading on private land, opening runs on a long abandoned ski hill. More on that later.
Is it later yet?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

Harvey wrote
Is it later yet?

Short version: the two Jeffs (LeChef and the Man) chatted with the forest managers at the Limberlost Forest & Wildlife Reserve. This is a huge private forest currently owned by one of the wealthiest families in Hinterlandia. It has trails, cabins, hills, woodlands, brook trout lakes and the oldest still-standing t-bar in North America. (check out the history section on the website). The trails are open to the public and free, you just have to sign in. Many of our crew have been skiing on the hill over the years but it is pretty overgrown. The Jeffs convinced the forester that it would be beneficial to open up some glades and create an opportunity for easy-to-access BC skiing. Back in October, 13 souls showed up for an organized work day, and there been some unofficial work days since then. I was away so couldn't attend but TD was there. We see this as a small first step to being a little more organized, getting more folks out earning their turns and developing some skiable areas that don't have be kept secret.

Here are a few pics I downloaded from FB, so may not be the best quality.

Pruning crew at the summit shack:

Mad beavering on the hill. Some folks drove all the way from Toronto to help (3 hour drive):

The t-bar line looks excellent:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

Ok, ski season is officially open in the local backbush. TD made up some excuse to leave work early and showed up at SBRHQ at 3 pm-ish. LeChef was going to join in but unfortunately got stuck at home fixing his snowblower. Some kind of sad irony there, I reckon.

The snow chair this morning:

Some Charger love as we head for the hills:

SBR and TD are very happy to be skiing again:

One of the keys to safe tree skiing at low tide is going places you know well. We have been skiing on Secret Hill for about 10 years, not to mention the sweat equity of pruning. We choose the well developed line on skier's right, though you can see there is still some potential hazards lurking. Fat rockered skis help keep you above the nasties as well.

Here's TD starting the run that resulted in in the tracks above.

Finally, we trekked over to Bonk Hill, our original glade project, for first tracks there. It is steeper, a bit shorter and definitely needs some more snow. But it was fun for a few turns before sunset:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

That's LOW tide.  Jeebus.  That's full-on best it gets for me.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Secret Hill for the win!
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Short version: the two Jeffs (LeChef and the Man) chatted with the forest managers at the Limberlost Forest & Wildlife Reserve. This is a huge private forest currently owned by one of the wealthiest families in Hinterlandia. It has trails, cabins, hills, woodlands, brook trout lakes and the oldest still-standing t-bar in North America. (check out the history section on the website). The trails are open to the public and free, you just have to sign in. Many of our crew have been skiing on the hill over the years but it is pretty overgrown. The Jeffs convinced the forester that it would be beneficial to open up some glades and create an opportunity for easy-to-access BC skiing. Back in October, 13 souls showed up for an organized work day, and there been some unofficial work days since then. I was away so couldn't attend but TD was there. We see this as a small first step to being a little more organized, getting more folks out earning their turns and developing some skiable areas that don't have be kept secret.
This is so primo SBR. Nice!

Looks like some vert?
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

I'm in love with the chair.  Great report from the hinterlands.
Telemark Dave Telemark Dave
Reply |

Man, I've become a skittish scaredy cat.  Is this what happens with age?  Faaaack..........

Harv,  there's a couple few hundred feet at Limberlost.. About the same as our local still operating ski area.. But actually better, as its all a consistent fall line.  Hidden Valley is like skiing on a friggen bowling ball.