The Winter of 1969

23 messages Options
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: The Winter of 1969

I was 12 and in my first year of skiing with the Raven Ski Club. The Ravens took kids from Montreal and bussed them to Jay Peak for 10 Saturdays in a row. My brother, seven years older, was an instructor. That first winter is a bit of a blur in my memory bank. On the first day, I froze my feet and had to get carried to the bus. Somewhat embarrassing but I got over it. Later years were more memorable, one time we skied the trees on skier's left of the Upper Quai. Every time I ride the Freezer, I stare at those trees and wonder how we did that. There must have been a shit tonne of snow.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

That summer I was just killin’ time, working down at the drive in.  Met my girl there, actually.  Come to think of it, Jody got married that summer.  Yeah, Jimmy quit after that and the band fell apart.  Man, that summer seemed to last forever.  Good times, best days of my life!

Shit, acid flashback.  Sorry.

Winter of ‘69?  Diapers....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

Uh 1969 was a seminal year ,was 26 then , had 2 kids , one a newborn ,bought my home in 1969 .

My son was born in 69 , I  got my first really big promotion at the college and was responsible for planning the interiors and buying all the equipment for14 additional buildings on a brand campus over the next 7 years .

Travel was extensive, Was in either Albany or Manhattan a couple days a week with architects  and consulting engineers getting this campus designed ,built and equipped . Timing was crucial we sold our old campus to another college and had to occupy the first several new bldgs built in the 1965 -67 first phase of construction and so in 69 we also moved from our old campus on the other  side of town i.  That  was a huge undertaking

Was Busier than a fart in a windstorm , and was  also  coaching college hoop squad then , but quit when my son ( john irving wrestles bears )  was born in August of 1969 , my asistant coach took over . I missed the kids on the team ,but my new responsibilities made coaching impossible .

Simply No time for skiing at all . But great times ,nonetheless, we were young full of piss n vinegar and having fun . Most of my colleagues at the college were under 30 , the college was undergoing very rapid growth we hired 100 NEW faculty in 1969 , so we all worked hard and played harder .

I think we grew up pretty quick back in those days ..BUT that also makes me sound like a GD curmudgeon so lets just say It WAS different .
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
That summer I was just killin’ time, working down at the drive in.  Met my girl there, actually.  Come to think of it, Jody got married that summer.  Yeah, Jimmy quit after that and the band fell apart.  Man, that summer seemed to last forever.  Good times, best days of my life!

Shit, acid flashback.  Sorry.

Winter of ‘69?  Diapers....
I was born in a small town.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Uh 1969 was a seminal year ,was 26 then , had 2 kids , one a newborn ,bought my home in 1969 .

My son was born in 69 , I  got my first really big promotion at the college and was responsible for planning the interiors and buying all the equipment for14 additional buildings on a brand campus over the next 7 years .

Travel was extensive, Was in either Albany or Manhattan a couple days a week with architects  and consulting engineers getting this campus designed ,built and equipped . Timing was crucial we sold our old campus to another college and had to occupy the first several new bldgs built in the 1965 -67 first phase of construction and so in 69 we also moved from our old campus on the other  side of town i.  That  was a huge undertaking

Was Busier than a fart in a windstorm , and was  also  coaching college hoop squad then , but quit when my son ( john irving wrestles bears )  was born in August of 1969 , my asistant coach took over . I missed the kids on the team ,but my new responsibilities made coaching impossible .

Simply No time for skiing at all . But great times ,nonetheless, we were young full of piss n vinegar and having fun . Most of my colleagues at the college were under 30 , the college was undergoing very rapid growth we hired 100 NEW faculty in 1969 , so we all worked hard and played harder .

I think we grew up pretty quick back in those days ..BUT that also makes me sound like a GD curmudgeon so lets just say It WAS different .
That is awesome!
2000yearoldskier 2000yearoldskier
Reply |

Thanks for the great memories,
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote

My son was born in 69 ,...
 ...but quit when my son ( john irving wrestles bears )  was born in August of 1969 , .
Ha,I knew it! That's funny, I think I called that one a while ago. I wasn't even a wet spot on the bed in '69.
Does anyone have any pictures of the snow that year? I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_1969_nor%27easter

Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

In February 1969, my brother, a college friend and I went skiing at Great Gorge. We met some friends there and one of the girls came back with us. On the way home, we got stuck on the Cross Bronx Expressway (which was the border of civilization back then) because of the snowstorm that tanked the John Lindsay's political career.

My brother boots me and my buddy from the car, and we find a subway and end up in Times Square. There's nothing going on there, so we jump on the F train to Flushing, then hitch hike to my buddy's house in Little Neck. Along the way a deranged off-duty cop points a gun in my face. (Always be polite to people with guns.) The next day I hitched out to my parents' house on Lawn Guyland.

IT was a memorable 48 hours.

mm

"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply |

In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
 My son<quote author="Johnnyonthespot">
warp daddy wrote
UDoes anyone have any pictures of the snow that year? I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_1969_nor%27easter
My brother got married the day after that storm. Most of us missed the ceremony because of that storm.

Later that winter, I spent several weekends in Stowe in an unheated cabin with an outhouse. It was sub-zero every night I was there, and most days too. That was the coldest place I've ever been in my life.

mm
Reply |

I moved to Albany in late 1970, and that winter still holds the snowfall record for most of the Northeast. There was no rain or January thaw that year either.  I was impressed, but the locals took it in stride.

mm