The latest Orda Screwup

133 messages Options
12345 ... 14
Gorefarmhouse Gorefarmhouse
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: The latest Orda Screwup

Resorts across the northeast are in need of workers.  Instructors, snowmakers, groomers, hourly wage workers, etc.  If people aren't wiping down the tables, there's a good chance there aren't people.  People willing to work for minimum wage and burn an hours worth of wages in gas to get to and from the mountain.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

It's almost as if businesses love the "free market" right up until the point where they have to compete in a labor market in which people demand higher salaries, benefits, and better working conditions.

Then they have no idea what to do (sample idea: "hire more H-2B workers!").

Hint to ORDA: offer higher salaries & better working conditions, and maybe you'll be able to hire, train & retain better people. You seem to be focusing too much on the "maximize revenue" part of your mission statement, rather than the other parts:

Institute a comprehensive, coordinated program of activities utilizing the Olympic facilities, Gore Mountain, and Belleayre Mountain, in and around Lake Placid, North Creek, and Highmount, New York, in order to insure optimum year-round use and enjoyment of these facilities to the economic and social benefit of the regions and to minimize the financial burden on state and local government by maximizing revenue opportunities
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

In reply to this post by Gorefarmhouse
Gorefarmhouse wrote
Resorts across the northeast are in need of workers.  Instructors, snowmakers, groomers, hourly wage workers, etc.
The French-Canadian website Zoneski posted a recent article (I ran it through Google Translate) about the dire situation in Quebec. Sounds exactly like what you mention.
SIAWOL SIAWOL
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Can I add the ongoing "oil/slick" pond skim on Cloud near Hullabaloo? Pretty sure there shouldn't be running water there week after week.

I know there's been rain, but I don't think the mountain has seen any for about 1.5 weeks now....broken pipe underneath?
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Then they have no idea what to do (sample idea: "hire more H-2B workers!").
So now you are suggesting that ORDA, an agency that is supposed to benefit the communities in the North Country, hire people from other countries to undercut the local population?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

You need to work on your reading comprehension, old man.
endoftheline endoftheline
Reply |

The latest ORDA Screwup?? Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss. It's been this way for decades at WF. We all know that. It is a government operation, not a real ski resort. All in all it's a pretty good gig, big hill, biggest vert in the east. could it be better run, absolutely but for a gov run operation it is what it is. Lets hope Mother Nauture gives us some help soon.
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

In reply to this post by SIAWOL
SIAWOL wrote
Can I add the ongoing "oil/slick" pond skim on Cloud near Hullabaloo? Pretty sure there shouldn't be running water there week after week.

I know there's been rain, but I don't think the mountain has seen any for about 1.5 weeks now....broken pipe underneath?
It's really odd that such a large new drainage problem would appear after 50 years. Does that ever freeze?

mm
"Everything is frozen, burning just the same." Derek Trucks
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

In other news, has the sewer gas stench in the new men's room in the Tannery been corrected?

mm
"Everything is frozen, burning just the same." Derek Trucks
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
You need to work on your reading comprehension, old man.
Maybe you better work on your writing skills Junior - or do you deny that was a direct quote.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
12345 ... 14