The latest Orda Screwup

133 messages Options
1234567 ... 14
Z Z
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: The latest Orda Screwup

So here is the king of all Orda F ups that I heard about 2nd hand but from a very reliable sources

The problem with the wet snow being blown and that lack of ability to rapidly expand terrain is that these shiny highly efficient guns the Gov wanted are not really compatible with the old pumping and pipe infrastructure that both Gore and WF have.  The pumps can’t pump at the higher pressure the high e guns need thus they can’t blow a whole trail in one shot which means they have to blow in stages.  

The lack of pressure below the high e guns demands lead to much lower quality and wetter snow.  I’ve certainly noticed we have had much different snow than the past several years.  I heard some voices higher in the staff are pushing to pull out the old guns

Finally all the broken pipe issues are due to pumping at higher pressures with old pipes.

Teddy while far from perfect I think knew how to gentlely push back on the Govs stupid ideas.  Pratt is a yes man despite the consequences to the product.   Until they upgrade the pumping infrastructure we are up the AuSable without a paddle.  This season is a loss unless it really starts dumping.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Z wrote
So here is the king of all Orda F ups that I heard about 2nd hand but from a very reliable sources

The problem with the wet snow being blown and that lack of ability to rapidly expand terrain is that these shiny highly efficient guns the Gov wanted are not really compatible with the old pumping and pipe infrastructure that both Gore and WF have.  The pumps can’t pump at the higher pressure the high e guns need thus they can’t blow a whole trail in one shot which means they have to blow in stages.  

Finally all the broken pipe issues are due to pumping at higher pressures with old pipes.
Gore just put in a hole new pump house so tell me again about old pumps. Also - if those old pumps can't put out the pressure then why are pipes breaking due to more pressure?

I suspect pipes are breaking because of fatigue caused by freezing and rusting due to age. If they can pump water to the top - they have more than enough pressure at the bottom - gravity will take care of that. I suspect they are focusing on quantity base snow over quality and don't forget the gully washers.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z Z
Reply |

Pt I thought you would know this but at higher pressure pumps not designed for it will start to cavitate  increasing stress on the pipe as the water starts to pulse / vibrate which as you mentioned with old weak pipes causes breaks it’s a combination effect started by trying to push the water at more pressure than the system had do with the old guns
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

Why would you need to pump water at higher pressure. There are air pipes and water pipes. Air pressure I guess I see but I don't think that is the problem with the pipes. The pipes that leaked at whiteface are brand new right?
Z Z
Reply |

The one on the summit that blew was old
Hoser Hoser
Reply |

Is there water back at mid lodge?   Is the lwf chair ok to load at full capacity yet?
Z Z
Reply |

Water yes
LWF no
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Pt I thought you would know this but at higher pressure pumps not designed for it will start to cavitate  increasing stress on the pipe as the water starts to pulse / vibrate which as you mentioned with old weak pipes causes breaks it’s a combination effect started by trying to push the water at more pressure than the system had do with the old guns
As I understand it, Gore has all new pumps.
I agree that once you put additional stresses on the system, the weak links will fail and as I said, these are the old rusty and fatigued pipes.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Darkside Shaman Darkside Shaman
Reply |

PeeTex wrote
Z wrote
As I understand it, Gore has all new pumps.
I agree that once you put additional stresses on the system, the weak links will fail and as I said, these are the old rusty and fatigued pipes.
Ahh well all of the pumps WERE new, but of course as the pumps and pumphouse were hurried to complete, 2 of the 9 pumps were not assembled correctly, so that when they came online, the pumps destroyed themselves, and they are not cheap and most likely will not be online this season.
Also, just because the pumps and pumphouse are new, does NOT mean that they were designed and built for these new fangled guns.
All one has to do is take a look at Big K, and the classic K3000 land gun, the venerable soldier of the Beast of The East, as the still the reigning King of snowmaking with not a contender in sight.
As a pass holder of the ORDA3 and a midweek pass at Big K, I do not want to hear how much money the operation is saving ( which is the mantra call of ORDA, and particularly the King Cheapo MP), I want to hear how much money they are spending to make sure that I have the best ski experience that my $$ can buy!
Gotta go to know
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

What's going on at Gore today? The website shows one of those yellow "caution" icons by the gondola and Sunway chair.  That doesn't leave much terrain.  

mm
"Everything is frozen, burning just the same." Derek Trucks
1234567 ... 14