The original extreme sport

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The original extreme sport

Peter Minde
In a most unlikely place: the 70 meter hill at Salisbury Winter Sports Association, Salisbury CT.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The original extreme sport

x10003q
Peter Minde wrote
In a most unlikely place: the 70 meter hill at Salisbury Winter Sports Association, Salisbury CT.

Cool shot.

Not exactly unlikely. There were a bunch of these in NJ. Scandinavian immigrants put them up where they settled as long as there was a hill and some potential for snow. Sadly, I do not think any remain in NJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
That looks fairly well maintained. Is it still in use?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
@ Benny Yes, Salisbury Winter Sports Association is still a going concern.  They rebuilt the jump a few years ago to host junior national championships.

x10003q, the only NJ jumps that I know of were in Rockaway Twp NJ.  Craigmeur had a jump, but it burned ~ 3 weeks after opening.  There was another jump further down Green Pond Rd run by a club that was active from 1940s - early 1960s.  If you know of any others, I'd love to hear about them.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Peter Minde wrote
x10003q, the only NJ jumps that I know of were in Rockaway Twp NJ.  Craigmeur had a jump, but it burned ~ 3 weeks after opening.  There was another jump further down Green Pond Rd run by a club that was active from 1940s - early 1960s.  If you know of any others, I'd love to hear about them.
Accrding to Liz Holste's book Skiing in New Jersey?(2005), there were 9 ski jumps in NJ.
Craigmeur had one from 1963-1967. The first one was knocked down in a wind storm and the second one burned.
Great Gorge South had one just above the original rope tow at the base. You could see it well into the 1980s.

The following information is also from Liz Holste's book Skiing in New Jersey?(2005):

High Point in Sussex, North Jersey CC in Wayne, Odin Ski Club Jumps in Lake Telemark, Peapack in Peapack, Pine Needle Slope in Swartswood Lake, Rocco's Villa Sunset in Lake Susquehanna, and Succasunna Ski Area in Succasunna.