classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The winds of November...

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
I know this is a ski-centric forum, but just to put things in a bit of perspective...here's the Eastern Lake Superior Marine forecast.

Eastern Lake Superior: Forecast
STORM WARNING IN EFFECT
ForecastWeather ConditionsIce Conditions
WarningsSynopsisResourcesAnother Area
Winds
Issued 06:30 PM EST 17 November 2013
Tonight and Monday
Storm warning in effect.
Wind northwest 20 knots increasing to northwest 30 this evening and to northwest 40 near midnight. Wind increasing to northwest 50 late overnight then diminishing to northwest 45 Monday morning. Wind diminishing to northwest 35 Monday evening.

Waves
Tonight and Monday
Waves one half to one metre building to 2 this evening and to 3 to 5 near midnight. Waves building to 5 to 7 late overnight then subsiding to 5 Monday afternoon.
Extended Forecast
Tuesday
Wind northwest 30 knots diminishing to light in the morning then increasing to south 25 late in the day.
Wednesday
Wind south 30 knots diminishing to northwest 15 late in the day.
Thursday
Wind northwest 15 knots veering to northeast 15 late in the day.

Weather & Visibility
Tonight and Monday
Rain changing to flurries late overnight then to chance of flurries Monday evening. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.

List of Official Text Forecasts

Great Lakes - Lake Superior
Eastern Lake SuperiorLake NipigonLake of the WoodsNorth ChannelWestern Lake SuperiorWhitefish Bay

Stay connected
ATOM

Date modified:2013-06-10

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The winds of November...

Sick Bird Rider
Waves five to seven metres? Surf's up!

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I was thinking that's not much smaller than the ski hills around here!

Td
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Telemark Dave wrote
I was thinking that's not much smaller than the ski hills around here!

Td
Was a very windy drive today. My mom called freaking out asking where I was. Apparently there were tornadoes in circles around us.. oops!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was wondering where the hell you were T. Those FB pics you posted were ominous.

Half of the Tornado Warnings issued in Illinois in the month of November in the last 30 years were issued today.

From Jim Cantore's Twitter feed:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
We were on I80/90 right about at the Ohio/Indiana border when we went through the shit storm. Was passing a semi, thought all the water on my windshield was from his wash, until I passed and realized I STILL couldn't see. Slowed it down to about 30mph with the wipers as fast as they could go, and I could still just barely make out the lines on the road. Hardest rain I've seen in my life. A couple miles after that we came up to some stopped traffic, saw a HUGE exit sign ripped in half and a tree that was probably 3' diameter smashed into pieces, taking a shed with it. I think most of the tornadoes were a bit farther Southwest from us. A handful of towns leveled, last I checked, at least 3 dead. Scary stuff. I checked the radar at one point and saw the funky occluded front, felt the winds blowing us all over the highway, and mentioned the possibility of a tornado. Weird stuff. We'll see what excitement tomorrow brings..
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
heard on TWC this am that Lake Erie was sloshing around a bit, Lake level dropped 15-25' at Toledo Oh and was expected to rise 6' at Cleveland. Many times w a strong SW wind it will drop on the Western end and raise up around Buffalo and the eastern end. Too bad it wasn't cold enough for lake effect, w those winds lake effect would have extended hundreds of miles.