5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Titus Mountain, Malone, NY Jan 5, 2013

nelsap
This post was updated on .
What a great day at Titus!

Titus has been on my must ski list for a while. It is quite a haul up there, 150 miles each way. If I was ever going to go, the weather had to be decent, and everything had to be open, which was the case yesterday. Got a $33 Liftopia Ticket which made it even better.

Titus has an expansive setup - it is 1.8 miles wide, which is huge for NY. There are 5 faces, one of which, the Upper Mountain, has a 650' drop. It operates with 100% pure Hall Chairlifts, including two Hall Triples. The vertical, according to Google Earth is 970', but that is only accessible on one very long easy run connecting the upper mountain to the lower.

This is a mountain for exploring. The upper mountain has some solid intermediate to low expert terrain. Big Al's is a beautiful low angle glade with perfect snow. The rest of the mountain features a mix of mostly intermediate-easy terrain, and most of the blacks are really blues with a few exceptions. There are numerous little chutes, gladed areas, and twists and turns on most terrain. Most of the other lifts are in the 400-500' vertical range but the runs are longer as there are periods of runouts.

The management at Titus has been working hard to improve the area, with a new lodge, added trails and glades, terrain park, updated website, etc. It really shows, and it was a very enjoyable day of skiing.

I have a feeling that several of the chairlifts were not native to Titus, or have been modified...can anybody confirm?

Here's a video of Big Al's glade to Sundance:

And some pictures

Upper base lodge
Upper base lodge

Big Al's Glade
Big Al's Glade

View of the Upper Mountain
View of the Upper Mountain

Top of Chair 6
Top of Chair 6

Lower down on Chair 6
Lower on Chair 6

Three Trees Trail
Three Trees Trail

Jacks Jump
Jacks Jump

Bottom of Jacks Jump
Bottom of Jacks Jump

Chair 4
Chair 4

Devils Delight
Devils Delight

Jeremy

Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Titus Mountain, Malone, NY Jan 5, 2013

Cornhead
Thanks for the TR, I have a voucher for Titus, and plan on checking them out after skiing Whiteface this year, I've never been. Those tree shots look sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Excellent report. You really have given great detail of what to look for if I ever get to Titus. It is on my hit list to  also.
Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

nelsap
Thanks guys, you'll enjoy Titus! There were some other glades that were somewhat steeper than those ones. I didn't ski them as it looked a little thin in there.

A few more shots:

Older aerial view of the trails from their lodge
Older aerial view of the trails

Bark Eater Glade
Mon Dieu Glade

Promise Trail, a quick steep drop
Promise Trail

JD
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
HEY NOW !!!! Ur talkin bout my home hill, it is a abeautiful little snow pocket withits own cloud !!!

But these new owners have ramped up the trail count in one yr from 27 to almost 47 .

The new base lodge is even nicer than then the Upper MTN lodge in Jeremys photo . literally something at Titus for everyone . BUT no killer long steeps just a great days  skiing at very reasonable price with Beaucoup Quebecois and joie d'vivre with an old time , retro vibe .

Hey 3 separate mtns with 4 total venues with admittedly some old time Hall Lifts , yep they ARE the originals and great snow .

Aw hell u guys dont want to go there , theres nuthin there :)   :D.  ;)

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.