Re: Today's paddle

Ready for fall.

Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Brownski, sorry I missed your question regarding canoe shape. Stunts has filled in admirably and is absolutely correct. This particular canoe was designed by David Yost, an upstate New Yorker who is well-known for his use of tumblehome. In canoe nerd circles at least, there is a design feature called the "Yost bubble," which the canoe is the picture does have.  Yost has figured out how to combine fairly radical tumblehome amidships with a certain amount of flare at the bow (for wave shedding). But as Stunts pointed out, it is mostly used in solo boats to make paddling easier from the centre position.
I know DY.  He lives right down on the north end of Canadice lake.

I haven't seen him in a while though, but probably my fault as I haven't been attending Hemlock demo nights.
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

Cunningstunts wrote
I know DY.  He lives right down on the north end of Canadice lake.

I haven't seen him in a while though, but probably my fault as I haven't been attending Hemlock demo nights.
That's cool. I see him once in while when he comes up to visit the folks at Swift Canoe in Canada. I work for the "brother company" that rents our what Swift makes, which these days, are mostly DY designs.

You should check out a Swift demo, paddle a fast Cruiser.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

I had a Swift but I sold it.  It was a fine boat but I wanted a symmetrical midsize tandem with similar features to what I had (a Keewaydin).  I bought an Eagle.  I also have a Peregrine and an old Sawyer x17 tandem.

15, 16 and 17'.  All Kevlar.
nepa nepa
Reply |

Pack-rafts rock...

Telemark Dave Telemark Dave
Reply |

Ya, I know its the middle of ski season, and nothing else matters... but I’m stoked about my soon to be new water fun toy..  

It’s  getting delivered to me early April..
FKNA!  

That is all.  Please return to your regularily broadcast snow..
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

That is a stoke-worthy ride right there. Looks fast as hellll!!
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply |

Brownski wrote
That is a stoke-worthy ride right there. Looks fast as hellll!!
Brownski, those Epics are FAST. In our local endurance paddling event, the MRX, one regular competitor in an Epic 18 typically places in the top 5 overall in the 130 km race. He would likely smoke the tandem canoers paddling with bent shaft paddles in fast canoes if it wasn't for the portages.

But TD, this is really going to the dark side.

I know, I know:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Telemark Dave Telemark Dave
Reply |

Had to look up the Epic 18, its a kayak, not a ski.
I’m getting the V10 SurfSki
https://www.epickayaks.com/v10

I’m into the surfski side of things after being immersed in the culture in Australia.  Skis are basically stupid fast and seaworthy sit-upons..  no sitting in with a skirt and having to learn to roll etc.  They’re designed for open water paddling sessions.  The rougher it is, the more fun they are.
I can’t wait.   Oh, and BTW, it will complement my SUPing.   So not entirely dark side.  
Reply |

Telemark Dave wrote
I can’t wait.   Oh, and BTW, it will complement my SUPing.   So not entirely dark side.
Hmm. I see this taking over your life. You might as well just give me your SUP and be done with it.
1 ... 11121314151617