Today's Paddle

135 messages Options
1234567 ... 14
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Today's paddle

Do you need a captains license to sail that?...
"Peace and Love"
Telemark Dave Telemark Dave
Reply |

Well that's certainly not a totally tongue in cheek rhetorical question.  
I guess a good analogy would be the bicycle one..this type of SUP board is to the standard surf/yoga/paddle off your dock board as a full suspension carbon fibre trail MTB is to a Utilitarian Mary Poppins Walmart city bike.

I'm even thinking of naming it.  Hana ka hoe, pa'a ka waha.   Hawaiian for "STFU and paddle".
MikeK MikeK
Reply |

No to be a dweeb TD, but what is the purpose of such a finely crafted vessel being made from carbon fiber?

I'm only a lowly canoe nerd, of which many of your Canadian brethren share the same affliction, and we tend to only be concerned with weight for portage (or carries as we call them in the Adirondacks).

I honestly love the feel of a nice heavy, finely built, fiberglass or wood canoe out on the water but refuse to lug one in between lakes and ponds when I am doing multi-day trips.

I also refuse to use carbon fiber boats for tripping because I don't feel they have the durability I desire.  I've settled on carbon/Kevlar/S glass composite because it gives the best of everything (carbon stiffness, Kevlar toughness, and S glass scuff resistance).

Reply |

Weight (or lack thereof) stiffness, etc etc.   Actually this particular layup combines linear cf and biaxial cf, along with some s-glass and Innegra.  

SUPs are not really practical for tripping. That's what canoes are for.  Anyway, think along the lines of whitewater paddling park and play / shuttling.  It's a one day, or one hour, or anything in between, one body of water paddling craft.  This one is specifically designed for downwinding.  SUPs have evolved into niche functionality.
There are flat water race boards, surf boards, whitewater boards, yoga boards (wtf?) downwind boards,... Just like bicycles.  

Are you slightly confused or baffled or perhaps even ambivalent now?  Thought so.
Reply |

Reply |

Got out for a paddle the other day and convinced my drone owning son to buzz me and snap some pics... They turned out pretty nice, IMHO.  

ml242 ml242
Reply |

I went for a paddle just north of Jay yesterday. It was like being in a long green bathtub for hours. The missiquoi is not the most mighty river but there aren't many better ways to spend a day with family.
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
 It's a one day, or one hour, or anything in between, one body of water paddling craft.  
On one of the bays on Lake George that we anchor in, there's a SUP rental shop. They do well with the wind but returning against a good wind is tricky especially if it's any distance.  Some will sit down and paddle to cut the wind resistance.

Something I notice there, it seems there are far more girls SUP-ing than guys.

Any thoughts TD ?
Reply |

Snowballs wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
 It's a one day, or one hour, or anything in between, one body of water paddling craft.  

Something I notice there, it seems there are far more girls SUP-ing than guys.

Any thoughts TD ?
Yeah I noticed that phenomenon.
sig sig
Reply |

i'm looking to kayak either Kayaderosseras Creek or Fish creek and head towards saratoga lake. does anyone know where i can put in with out time restrictions?

thanks
1234567 ... 14