27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Toyota Prius: Impressions and Numbers

riverc0il
freeheeln wrote
who would ve thought, station wagons making a come back
In my dreams. I didn't have much of a choice when I went shopping two years ago. Wagon that gets good MPG? Pretty much only one option in the US and that is a TDI SportWagen. Otherwise, go fish in the sub-30 combined MPG range and there aren't a ton of options down there either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mainebikah
Ford has a pretty nice Hybrid "wagon".  C-Max is a taller Ford Focus.  Pretty usable.  Fairly economical.  Haven't had the chance to drive it yet, but hear that it has somewhat more lively performance than a Prius.  We've owned 2 Prius so far... a second gen for 5 years and a new 2011 bought last March.  Big improvement over the 2005 we had, both in mileage and road performance.  Not a race car, but makes a really good travel car.

Ski buddy drives a 2010 Prius that we have been using for our ski trips this year.  The thing's fine for 2 people and gear.  My 182 skis fit in the hatch with rear seats down.  Even during Winter we've been keeping the average around 51 MPG.  With gas prices here moving up through 3.70 a gal or so again, it's good to have one of these to drive to the slopes.  

Wagons will come back as fuel prices increase, but I think we'll see the taller wagons that are really popular over in Europe.  More room in a smaller package that can look more like a small SUV?  Just guessing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Blah, blah, blah. Soon we're gonna load up  a BIG Nissan Armada full of beer, booze, skis and gear enough for 4 guys and head to Whitface, all the while getting 15 MPG   
Reply | Threaded
|

Mainebikah
That's not bad MPG for an Armada, especially with said hefty load of beer, booze, 4 skiers and all the gear.  A 28 gallon fuel tank would get you about 420 miles for about 100 bucks, so only 25 bucks per person.  Completely doable.  

Wouldn't be able haul all that as well in a Prius for sure!  Would need to add a Ski rack and a small trailer for the vast quantities of liquid refreshments!  Or maybe a second Prius.

I haven't skied Whiteface in quite a few years... great mountain.  Gotta get out there soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Mainebikah wrote
Or maybe a second Prius.
Sad state of affairs when taking two cars uses less fuel than taking just one.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It's not that sad---it's just gas

Don't worry tho, I'll drive slow, don't want to spill my beer.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
  and a double.