Trip Reports: Who Reads Them Anyway?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trip Reports: Who Reads Them Anyway?

tBatt
lingerlonger wrote
Somebody apparently got 1100 views of an "epic" trip on a "toll road"? That doesn't even begin to make sense to me.  How does the word "epic" wind up in the same sentence as the words "toll road"?  If a toll road trip is an "epic", what adjective do you reserve for use in describing a mid-winter trip up Gothics to ski True North?  What about Kathadin in January?
I wrote
Toll Road epic
Toll road epic, not epic toll road.

Double checked, it was over 1300
800 miles of driving, about 6 hours of sleep/3 days, a D in calculus, 2 feet of snow, 1 pair of skins between two people, and October 16th.

Apparently you despise reading TR's, but I won't tell anyone if you click this...
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/TR-Whiteface-Toll-Road-10-16-10-td1722273.html

woodlawnclown?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
fujative wrote
woodlawnclown?
I don't think so.  Despite her conspicuous absence from the TGR EC Stoke thread of late, Woodlandclown is not a thread-killer and certainly has a thicker skin.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by lingerlonger
lingerlonger wrote
Somebody apparently got 1100 views of an "epic" trip on a "toll road"? That doesn't even begin to make sense to me.  How does the word "epic" wind up in the same sentence as the words "toll road"?  If a toll road trip is an "epic", what adjective do you reserve for use in describing a mid-winter trip up Gothics to ski True North?  What about Kathadin in January?  That's part of my issue I guess with TRs about the mundane: They  debase and trivialize our language and lower our expectations regarding what's truly noteworthy.  By celebrating the banal they diminish the sport which, before the advent of the internet and the enfranchisement of any Gomer with a pair of skis and access to a computer, still had a great deal of mystery and maybe even majesty associated with it.  Now it's golf.  

I think we've lost something.
Man you need to lighten up.

These trip reports debase and trivialize our language? Wow. Nobody said anything about trip reports being truly noteworthy. It is a way for some of us to share our enjoyment of sliding down a mountain. Nothing written on the internet can diminish the sport for me - but I guess I am just some gomer with a pair of skis and computer access.
 By the way here is the trip report you really wanted so read up:

Fun trip up Gothics to ski True North

Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by tBatt
I'm not a big trip report guy either. If they have pics I'll look at them, if something about a pic interests me then I'll read the report to see whats up. I'll also read any report about WF because I want to see what others think about it.

I like to read gear reviews. I've tried to start a couple of threads here, but no takers.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
In reply to this post by x10003q
When somebody refers to a ski on a road as an "epic" - and everybody seems to be okay with it - then, yeah, I submit our descriptive language has been debased and trivialized - at least in here.  But that wasn't even my original point.  My original point was that TRs concerning trips to lift served resorts or well trodden BC venues are boring.  I don't think the majority of skiers that I know and ski with regularly would disagree (in fact, I'm quite sure NONE of them would disagree).  I didn't really expect to get much agreement in here but this is a self-selected group of people that, almost by definition, like TRs or they wouldn't be here.  Doesn't mean you're all not outliers.  (Most people are against the sexual exploitation of children but probably not most members of NAMBLA.)  Anyway, go ahead and post up about your latest trip to Mount Snow or Gore or Whiteface or whatever.  I don't care.  My comments on this matter don't mean I think you're a bad person.  You like reading TRs and I'd rather pound a railroad spike through my neck than read a TR.  Why not just let this thread die?  It was never meant to be a thread anyway.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
lingerlonger wrote
You like reading TRs and I'd rather pound a railroad spike through my neck than read a TR.  Why not just let this thread die?  It was never meant to be a thread anyway.  
After giving her the executive summary of this bizarre thread, my wise wife said: "if you want a scab to heal, quit picking it!"
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
IMO this thread has some valuable stuff it in.

Ideally I'd separate it into two threads, but it's a brain freeze. I've really come to appreciate what Tony Crocker does for Admin on FTO. It ain't easy.

The simplest thing is a little inelegant but easiest for me. I'll make myself the author of the thread with the original title.

LL is no longer the author of something he didn't intend and the responses will be preserved.

My two cents on the "Epic" Toll Road thread. I doubt anyone was saying that the skiing itself was epic.  That TR was more about how high the jones is for skiing in October, and how far people will go just to feel the snow under their skis.

Judging by our site traffic the day it was posted there is no doubt it was of interest to others besides the regulars here.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
My suggestion:  Make HR an "epic"-free zone.  That word is way overused.  Next to "fail".  As Urbandictionary.com says, you get extra a**hole points for overuse if you say "epic fail".

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Michaeltokyo wrote
My suggestion:  Make HR an "epic"-free zone.  That word is way overused.  Next to "fail".  As Urbandictionary.com says, you get extra a**hole points for overuse if you say "epic fail".
Awesome! Totally Rad! FreegiNar!  Hehehe.

Good idea Micheal.
Next, if we could only eliminate Double Speak from posts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by lingerlonger

lingerlonger wrote
When somebody refers to a ski on a road as an "epic" - and everybody seems to be okay with it - then, yeah, I submit our descriptive language has been debased and trivialized - at least in here.  But that wasn't even my original point.  My original point was that TRs concerning trips to lift served resorts or well trodden BC venues are boring.  I don't think the majority of skiers that I know and ski with regularly would disagree (in fact, I'm quite sure NONE of them would disagree).  I didn't really expect to get much agreement in here but this is a self-selected group of people that, almost by definition, like TRs or they wouldn't be here.  Doesn't mean you're all not outliers.  (Most people are against the sexual exploitation of children but probably not most members of NAMBLA.)  Anyway, go ahead and post up about your latest trip to Mount Snow or Gore or Whiteface or whatever.  I don't care.  My comments on this matter don't mean I think you're a bad person.  You like reading TRs and I'd rather pound a railroad spike through my neck than read a TR.  Why not just let this thread die?  It was never meant to be a thread anyway.  
Geez... Lighten up, Francis!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Adk Jeff wrote
My first thoughts after reading the post.

I debated using that but I figured it might get lost on people. Excellent usage and its still funny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psycho: The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
Leon: Ooooooh.
Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey Road is getting its own version of The Padded Room, all in one thread. I like it!<quote author="x10003q">
Adk Jeff wrote