Trouble cutting vines with chainsaw?

17 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Trouble cutting vines with chainsaw?

Post a pic of said vines?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

If you like to play with a chain saw you should take a logging course. I have taken a couple offered by Cornell extension. You will learn to fell BIG trees using methods you never even thought of , and drop it within a few inches of plan
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
greif greif
Reply |

I don't fell any trees- all my cutting is stuff that fell down; to clear trails. Yes, loppers are they way to go; just a pain when vines are in the way (hanging down from trees) and  I already have a chain saw in my hands.  I guess little 1/4 inch vines get sucked into the drive gear way too easy, so I've learned my lesson.  Thanks!

Now- what is the easiest way to cut up a log that is partially buried in the dirt? Any great ideas to avoid digging a whole lot?
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

greif wrote

Now- what is the easiest way to cut up a log that is partially buried in the dirt? Any great ideas to avoid digging a whole lot?
Borrow someone's chainsaw
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

campgottagopee wrote
greif wrote

Borrow someone's chainsaw
But not someone you consider a good friend. I’d borrow Matt’s if he had one.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

In reply to this post by greif
greif wrote
I don't fell any trees- all my cutting is stuff that fell down; to clear trails. Yes, loppers are they way to go; just a pain when vines are in the way (hanging down from trees) and  I already have a chain saw in my hands.  I guess little 1/4 inch vines get sucked into the drive gear way too easy, so I've learned my lesson.  Thanks!

Get a log peavey or a log jack.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612317_200612317?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Logging%20%3E%20Logging%20Tools%20%3E%20Logging%20Hand%20Tools&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=38677&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuPGez7ul5AIVirbICh06GALxEAQYASABEgI0DPD_BwE
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

Never go into the woods without steel and fire