Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vail Resorts buys Whistler Blackcomb for $1.4B

Z
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
 As I understand it, basically every mountain in the East is for sale this summer officially or unofficially.
Except Orda's resorts of course and Cannon I guess
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
I never want to see Vail anywhere near Mountain Creek.  They'd drive the smaller places out of business.  Then they'd buy them up and have a monopoly.  Unlike what they say, they're not about making skiing more affordable.  They're about lining the pockets of their executives and shareholders.  The only reason their season pass is so cheap is because they make up for it by nickel and diming you for parking, food, etc.  Their day tickets are the most expensive on the market.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sno, what's the number of skier visits that MC receives each year ?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I never want to see Vail anywhere near Mountain Creek.  They'd drive the smaller places (Mount Peter, Campgaw) out of business.  Then they'd buy them up and have a monopoly.  Unlike what they say, they're not about making skiing more affordable.  They're about lining the pockets of their executives and shareholders.  The only reason their season pass is so cheap is because they make up for it by nickel and diming you for parking, food, etc.  Their day tickets are the most expensive on the market.
More like they would just drive them out of biz but I doubt they would buy them.  Some poeple think Orda did exactly that to Tupper ad they couldn't compete with the WF / Gore pass or the shinny new (at the time) Gondis.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Sno, what's the number of skier visits that MC receives each year ?
I don't know.  They don't release them to the public like ORDA does and some other privately run mountains like Killington.  A busy day in the winter can bring in north of 10k guests.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They've just announced big plans to make the resort less weather dependent, which means they're mostly building more off season stuff.  Some new attractions for the waterpark, an outdoor spa, trail connections to the Appalachian Trail, more cross country bike trails at the top, and a mountain top center with another bunny hill are all in the plans.  

http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/mountain-creek-unveils-major-expansion-plan-in-vernon-indoor-water-park-idea-scrapped-1.1623355

The management is taking steps to improve the experience and be less weather dependent, and the last thing this region needs is the fat cats at Vail to bankroll them, drive the smaller places out of business, and monopolize skiing in the region.

Although most of you hate Mountain Creek, they, and the other smaller places in my region serve as feeder hills for the rest of the industry.  A lot of people learn to ski in this area, and those who keep coming back will eventually get better and want to make trips to bigger places.  Vail will not make it any more affordable to take up skiing.  It's already expensive as it is, and when you add in their 100+ dollar lift tickets, ridiculously overpriced food (instead of mildly overpriced), and Manhattan style parking fees if you even want to walk to the lodge, that will drive more people away from the sport.  Not to mention that they'll drive places like Mount Peter and Campgaw (which are even lower priced than MC) out of business, and keep Tuxedo Ridge from ever getting back in business.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
snoloco wrote
They've just announced big plans to make the resort less weather dependent, which means they're mostly building more off season stuff.  Some new attractions for the waterpark, an outdoor spa, trail connections to the Appalachian Trail, more cross country bike trails at the top, and a mountain top center with another bunny hill are all in the plans.  

http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/mountain-creek-unveils-major-expansion-plan-in-vernon-indoor-water-park-idea-scrapped-1.1623355

The management is taking steps to improve the experience and be less weather dependent, and the last thing this region needs is the fat cats at Vail to bankroll them, drive the smaller places out of business, and monopolize skiing in the region.

Although most of you hate Mountain Creek, they, and the other smaller places in my region serve as feeder hills for the rest of the industry.  A lot of people learn to ski in this area, and those who keep coming back will eventually get better and want to make trips to bigger places.  Vail will not make it any more affordable to take up skiing.  It's already expensive as it is, and when you add in their 100+ dollar lift tickets, ridiculously overpriced food (instead of mildly overpriced), and Manhattan style parking fees if you even want to walk to the lodge, that will drive more people away from the sport.  Not to mention that they'll drive places like Mount Peter and Campgaw (which are even lower priced than MC) out of business, and keep Tuxedo Ridge from ever getting back in business.

I hate to do this and defend the Evil Empire, but Vail actually makes skiing and learning to ski very affordable for local residents. An Epic local pass for minors and students ain't much at all in Colorado, and buys a super long season. Bag your lunch, and don't go to Vail with its 40 dollar parking. And they've forced the other local mountains to bundle and compete with their pricing, so skiing in general out there is pretty cheap. Easterners are the ones getting screwed in this market.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Most people want to try skiing once at first, not go all in and buy a frickin season pass.  Plus you have to buy really early to get the best price.  You really think that people who've never skied before know all the ways to get the best deal.  They don't.  They'll likely get there, see all the ridiculous prices they have to pay for everything, and decide that it's not worth it to come back after dropping 500 dollars on one ski day.  My dad can book an entire ski weekend for less than that.

Your post should read "They do a great job making skiing affordable to locals who know the system to avoid being ripped off and stripped of their hard earned money".
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
snoloco wrote
Most people want to try skiing once at first, not go all in and buy a frickin season pass.  Plus you have to buy really early to get the best price.  You really think that people who've never skied before know all the ways to get the best deal.  They don't.  They'll likely get there, see all the ridiculous prices they have to pay for everything, and decide that it's not worth it to come back after dropping 500 dollars on one ski day.  My dad can book an entire ski weekend for less than that.

Your post should read "They do a great job making skiing affordable to locals who know the system to avoid being ripped off and stripped of their hard earned money".
Listen, young man, I know that this election season is not casting a favorable light upon the American population, but, really, people aren't as stupid as you think. I have no stats to back this up, but, my guess is that most people are introduced to sliding by existing skiers and boarders who have a little clue. I know many experience the mountains young on a group school trip, maybe three or four times. Then there are the sales and marketing people at various mountains that are always struggling with the fact that, yes, their product is priced higher than many can afford, and package deals that will attract the person of more modest means. It's then that they have to figure it out for themselves. But, if they can't do that, they're probably fucking up in the rest of their life as far as finances too, so, you know, Darwin.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by snoloco
Yo ding bat in order to get all that groomed snow you so desire they need to squash out the competition cause they need the revenue to put that perfect product down you desire.    
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote

Listen, young man,  
Benny there in lies the problem