Wasatch Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wasatch Conditions

jjp24
Thanks Harv, having a lot of fun out here even in such a low snow year. Missing the Adirondacks though!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Great photos!

jjp24 wrote
I had my eyes on that one too, Harv!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Be a great hero shot for a Utah Ski Blog.

Marcski wrote
Harvey wrote
Great photos!

jjp24 wrote
I had my eyes on that one too, Harv!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

midwestblues
I just moved my mid March trip from Snowbird to Grand Targhee.  Just think the conditions in Wyoming will remain significantly better than Utah.  First time in a long time we will not be skiing in Utah this year.  Hopefully next year will be better.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Probably a safe bet.  See my recent report in the "Trip Reports" section.  Hope you find a ton of powder at GT!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
onscott wrote
See my recent report in the "Trip Reports" section.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Thanks for the trip report.  Doesn’t sound like the surprise snow that jjp found in the backcountry Saturday made it up Big Cottonwood Canyon way?  Sorry you didn’t have better conditions, but it sounds like you had a good time.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Well it is about to get deep here. 50 inches in the last week up in the Cottonwoods and a pretty sizable storm on tap for today through Tuesday. Hoping to get out after work the next two days to enjoy it.

We finally have enough snow to ski our local zones, which is pretty sweet. I live right near a huge national forest where the skiing possibilities are pretty much endless with zero crowds at all. We don't get quite the snow totals of LCC and BCC (this year in particular we have really gotten skunked) but almost nobody else skis here. On Saturday I had a huge open bowl all to myself. It felt a little bit like the realization of a dream, skiing great powder and terrain in a zone that I can see from my backyard.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Sweet pics.  Post em for us, we are going to be hungry. Seems like interlodge is imminent or happening.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by jjp24
jjp24 wrote

This is dream skiing to me
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
last two days of post work skiing at the local zone were fun. Probably got about 12 inches Sunday-Monday, and snow showers Tuesday added up to about 3 more inches of fluff. Three more small-medium size storms in the next week, seems like our season is finally turning a corner. We are actually forecasted to be the winners of Thursday-Friday's storm here in Central Utah with 6-12 inches forecasted. Excited to finally have both days off this weekend for the first time in 3 weeks!

Sorry about what is happening back out east, hopefully y'all get a big March dump like last year. Now would probably be a good time to book last minute flights in to Utah!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
jjp24 wrote

Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Figured I'd pop in with a quick update/photodump. We had an excellent and stormy period from about February 10th to the beginning of March. Many great ski days were had, mostly touring in the neighborhood of Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. The highlight for me (and certainly my whole life of skiing) was putting first tracks on the South face of Superior after a 30 inch dump a couple weeks ago. Some local skiers went up the next day at sunrise with a drone and captured some beautiful photos of the peak with our tracks front and center (last image in my post.) It truly was an unforgettable experience to ski such a classic line in outrageous conditions.