classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What I've learned since leaving Upstate New York

SIAWOL
riverc0il wrote
I've come to the conclusion that there will always be greener grass.
Those who think the grass is greener on the other side probably ought to spend more time watering their own grass...
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
MC2 really nails it in this thread.

I've come to the conclusion that there will always be greener grass. When we follow our dreams and move, the grass back home where we came from suddenly seems greener than it was when we lived there because we gain perspective on what made that place special that we didn't see when we lived there. Sorry if that wasn't so eloquently and concisely written, I blame the beer.

My personal exception to this rule is when I moved from northern NJ/NYC metro to Saratoga. The grass couldn't be any greener on the other side. I feel you though. I've lived all over (and in an RV). There are only a few places I would want to stay for a while and I can happily say I now live in one of them.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
SIAWOL wrote
Those who think the grass is greener on the other side probably ought to spend more time watering their own grass...
I've always thought that watering grass is a waste of resources. Look at what is happening out in CA right now.

Or, maybe if you don't see greener grass elsewhere, maybe you don't have a taste for the novel, for something different than right now. You can appreciate what you have while also looking to move in a different direction and gain new experience dot dot dot.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This will be my 5th season in the PNW.  My wife and I moved out to Wenatchee WA from Scranton PA with my wife's job.  When we first arrived here, I think, I thought, the same way as the OP indicated, and to a limited extent I still do.  Snow fanaticism is stronger in an Eastern born snow sport enthusiast than the typical Western born enthusiast.  People who have lived their entire life in the Western mountains have a different view of snow quality in general, than people who have moved to the West from an established life back East.  Obviously, my perspective would qualify as the later.  The "Western born and raised" fanatics that I've met out here are still fanatics, but in my opinion, they don't always appreciate what they have.  There was a quote from the movie Vanilla Sky: "Just remember, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour, and I know the sour."  In my opinion, this applies to the  Western born enthusiast who has never spent a season in the East.  Without a doubt, Eastern born fanatics know the sour.

Initially, I was astonished by the fact that people wouldn't come to the mountain on opening day.  Last year the mountain opened in mid November.  Heck, I have met some Western born enthusiasts who don't come to the ski area until mid January...  I now understand the reasons why, but the Eastern born fanatic in me has trouble agreeing with them.  Moving out here has not changed my level of fanaticism, but it has definitely changed my perception of snow quality.  My wife called me out several times last season.  We had a very dry December and January, and several of our early season outings were close to "once and dones."  The snowpack in the East Cascades can be thin, so I do still get the opportunity to ride icy conditions.  Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy the hardpack as much as I used to.  This is coming from a guy who would often took laps at Montage Mountain for 4 hours after work on a frigid January evening, and still came home with a smile on my face.

We have a strong snow sports community in our town.  There is also some B.S. snobbery that shows now respect for the Eastern mountains.  Being an outsider is always a challenge in a small town.  It has taken 4 seasons, but we have found a small group of "husband & wife" fanatics that we can relate with.  It was tough for us initially.  My wife and I do not have any children.  For us, it's easier to socialize in the mountains with people that don't have kids.  Nothing against kids, but they do change the dynamic of everything that you do.  My small group of connections from back East are still as strong as ever.  Unfortunately, I have yet to convince anyone to come out here and stay permanently.

Bottom line, after growing up in RI, and spending 18 years in PA, I probably won't ever come back East (except for family visits and work).  I still work for the same company that I did before I left, so I have to come back for work.  Nonetheless, I still feel connected to Eastern snow fanaticism... primarily via bloggers.  I have followed both Steve on TSW and Matt on MC2... Both are great blogs.  Your passion for the sport and mountain lifestyle comes through very clearly in your writing.

Sorry for the first post ramble.  The OP struck a chord for me.  Thought I could add a personal perspective 4 seasons after my move.  

I would be really interested to hear Don's perspective after a few seasons in the Denver area.  
I would also be interested to hear from a fanatic that has moved West, and really did want to go back for the snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Great first post Chris, and welcome to the forum.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
I grew up going to Tahoe, that shit is amazing and there are so many places, but fun is where you make it. I get a kick out of riding with my kids locally, try to go to Vermont after a storm, and look forward to a couple big trips every year. I love going back to Tahoe, and I have always wanted to ride Jackson Hole! When I get back home to my little icy hill, I still have fun. When I'm on a trip I just want to ride out and bomb all day, plus the terrain is less familiar and generally more challenging. I remember going back to Kirkwood for the first time and realizing that "Runs" out west are nothing like "Runs" in the Cats. In the Cats, you are basically going down a  road paved with snow on 90% of your days. I got to the top of one of the peak lifts serving one of the big bowls, and there were trees to the left, rock drops to the right, and a wild ass gully in-between! Riding at home is when I push myself to try new moves, ride backwards longer, practice ground tricks and park stuff, and enjoy being back home before 7!
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
This post was updated on .
I skied with Don at Hickory last March, it reminded me of an outwest day.  It had that epic day vibe to it.  On good days on the east I always imagine myself being out west.   I don't really feel the same as Don, I basically feel the the last 5 years of driving 8-10 weeks in a row to ski the east have been worth it, but if I went out west for a week it was always better.  Maybe if we had those clippers that I hear about.  I am not asking for much how about 2 inches a day.
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This east vs west comparision.....Maybe it's a case of memories recalled are usually the good ones. Like after breaking up with a lover. Down the road, it's the good memories that we usually return to.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Snowballs wrote
This east vs west comparision.....Maybe it's a case of memories recalled are usually the good ones. Like after breaking up with a lover. Down the road, it's the good memories that we usually return to.
You got it all wrong, it's my exes that make me appreciate the one I got now!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
In reply to this post by nepa
I thought I would follow on this long-extinct thread.  Everyone knows it has been a lackluster season out west.  That said, I've gotten the goods, when they've been available.   The highlight so far has definitely been the 70 inch storm that I chased down to Taos.  That place is ridiculous.  Getting to ride around with the FWT guys all day was a treat, and they even let me sneak a few laps over by the venue.  Overhead blower all day.

That said, I still miss the east coast.  Maybe it's the skiing (because the season out west hasn't been great), maybe it's my family, maybe it's the fact that working in a corporate job is really getting to me.  The thing is, I still have a strong urge to return east.  Am I crazy?  I feel like I really need some help from my east-coast brothers on this.  Maybe I'm just an east coast ski kid?  I mean, yeah, in an ideal world, I'd love to live in Jackson or Bozeman, but is skiing off the I-70 corridor really that much better than a good day at Gore or Jay, or wherever?  I'm starting to think not.  It's just different.  Would I miss getting to ski really fast down big terrain?  

I miss the passion of the east coast ski community.  Believe it or not, the most passionate skiers I tend to meet at A-Basin/Loveland are kids from Upstate NY, VT and PA.   Honestly, leaving the fishing out here is more difficult than leaving the skiing.  

To make the thread somewhat more interesting, here are some pictures from the east wall at A Basin last week (which is now closed).  My east coast roots allowed me to ski it without regard for my bases.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Adrider83 wrote
Bro this need to go in the cliff huck thread.

Nice post!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Adrider83
Adrider83 wrote
My east coast roots allowed me to ski it without regard for my bases.  

Awesome pics ^^.  Would love skiing that "thin cover."
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
In reply to this post by Harvey
Ha!  Maybe.  It's actually not that big..but super fun.  I wish I got a picture of one from the storm at Taos!  Big diving board..was in the air so long...then landed in six feet of fresh.  Didn't even feel like you hit a mogul.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Great Thread.. I love it that there wasn't any mud slinging or bashing..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Nice pics.

I stand by my earlier comments in this thread. This thing we do called skiing is nothing compared to the people we surround ourselves with... whether it is while skiing or otherwise. If you can get in good with a crew you love to be around, cool. Otherwise, moving to ski country (whether in the northeast or anywhere else) is pointless. It is better to get after it from a distance rather than leave everyone behind... unless you can find other kindred spirits to hang with. We go off chasing our dreams but we forget to think about who we are chasing our dreams with...

At least that is my experience. I'm in purgatory now. I would have done it differently.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
I would say I had a similar level of second guessing after my first year or 2 out here.  I would give it some time.  After 5 years, I feel totally at home.  My situation may be a bit different.  I work out of my house, and I'm generally satisfied with my job.  I came out here with a wife who is a fantastic outdoor recreation partner.  To be perfectly honest, if I didn't have my wife, I would probably be telling a completely different story.

The worst part has been the family thing.  For me, I come from a family that is more distant... me living on the other side of the country is not really a problem.  My wife struggles a bit with it.  She comes from a more traditionally structured family.  The first 2 years were an emotional rollercoaster for her; therefore it was also an emotional rollercoaster for me.  At this point, there are still a few negative aspects of being out here, but we've found too many good reasons to stay.  

In my opinion, your family is the most important consideration.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
Thank you guys.  I appreciate your responses.  I agree.  Family is the most important consideration..and having these experiences without your kindred ski buddies is not the same (though I do have ski buddies here...I feel like every pow day I meet someone cool...who is usually from upstate NY).  I am enjoying it out here for now, but constantly evaluate this stuff.  Appreciate your honesty.  

Loveland got 8 inches yesterday...so I said I would go this morning if they got more (the snow was badly needed).  I woke up at 6 AM...no snow on the stake...wake up at 8 AM for work...4 inches...oh well.   I do really enjoy Loveland.  It's an awesome place.  Reminds me of Gore in a lot of way...mainly it's vibe.  

I work in a typical corporate job..so it's very tough to sneak out midweek.  That said, I do it from time to time.  Why not?   Here is a clip from a powder day at Loveland in February for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckh0HLPxLSA
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
I grew up in Schroon lake and moved to Sugarbush / MRG in '79. I did 12 years there with one at Heavenly Valley in '83. I was a " lifer " in Waitsfield. I was on the ambulance service for years and felt like I would never leave. It was where I always wanted to live.
Then someone told me about Big Sky. In 1991 I stunned my friends and family and made the big move. I didn't know anyone out here. I was 31, with $950 bucks in my pocket. I drove across the country scared to death. Luckily, I am a lucky guy, and life has been good. Big Sky has changed quite a bit since I landed here but I love every minute.
I just couldn't go back East. I am way too spoiled with the ski conditions, fishing and hunting. I miss my old ski buddies. They are hard to come by. It's hard to find someone who can ski the same pace and enjoy the same terrain. But they are there. Just different looking than the old ones.
When I lived back East, I was proud of it. While Eastern skiers can ski out West, Western skiers couldn't handle the East. I still feel that's true. But that pride doesn't trump the tram. Especially yesterday, with 14" on top of the 8" from the day before.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
stoked you got snow lolk!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
In reply to this post by lolkl
That's awesome to hear.  I've actually been thinking of making the jump to Bozeman.  Do you know much about the job market there?