Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What do you need from a ski area?

x10003q
Harvey wrote
You guys switching next year?

Maybe we can ski at Plattekill too.
We hit magic a few times this past season. Now we have to visit Bromley.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Almost any hill with 600 ft or more is great on a powder day. But that’s not what makes a great ski hill. Alta is a great place no matter what. You could be interlodged for several days and just socialize and have a great time or you could be “skunked” and still enjoy the vibe. Gore is also kind of like that. The actual skiing could suck but the company makes up for it.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
1k of vert with good pitch is sort of my own favored amount for getting good flow during a pow day. 1400 + is better but shoot, a cool place with good people can be fun with less. I dig on speed so I prefer more than 600 but I can have fun wherever on a good day. Real steep stuff can be super fun even when it's short and only three technical turns to a speedy run out. Less consequence sort of lines are what I kind of prefer anyways. Throw in some rock features to play with in there and it's even better. Straight lines and playful terrain? Yes please. I like a fun local scene and bar but lifts and everything else aren't deal breakers, at least for a short visit.

Having a home hill with a high speed lift serving adequate terrain sure is nice and turns a quick few hours of the day into something worth while. Visiting other places for a day or two and it doesn't matter much I guess. As I get older it's less about the "shred" and more about the whole scene and the people. Going to a mom  and pop place for a day and getting to know the local scene is maybe better than anything I can think of. Maybe.

I like all types of experiences really but I still like getting some time in skiing. riding slow and cold lifts while not getting in much skiing isn't that awesome either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
A really good cappacino. Why is this so hard to find?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Benny Profane wrote
A really good cappacino. Why is this so hard to find?
It could be as simple as “you’re spelling it wrong” or as complicated as the fact that commercial cappuccino machines are expensive.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The internet spelling police
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Good answers.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
I would like to ski bromley too.  Beyond Magic it's the only SoVt that captures my imagination.   I don't even know why because I know little about it.  Maybe because  I perceive it to be an underdog.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
I would like to ski bromley too.  Beyond Magic it's the only SoVt that captures my imagination.   I don't even know why because I know little about it.  Maybe because  I perceive it to be an underdog.
Some day you should go check out Berkshire East.  Definitely fits the general description of enough vertical, trees, and no crowds even on weekends, family owned.  Lift to the summit is a slow quad.

Have to admit that I like Jiminy Peak better than BEast because of the high speed detachable to the summit.  The 6-pack serves probably 80% of the terrain.  Really nice for laps midweek or even under the lights since there there are several blue/black options for runs open until 10pm.  Has quite a strong following among locals.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
The internet spelling police
Police have power and authority. I’m more like the spelling homeless drifter with messiah complex, ranting at a world that tries hard to ignore me.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
We used to stop there with the kids  on our way to the larger resorts..It's a real cool place , and warmer on cold days..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I would like to ski bromley too.  Beyond Magic it's the only SoVt that captures my imagination.
You would've liked Ascutney's underrated terrain. What killed them was the Gore-like snow shadow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Harvey wrote
We used to stop there with the kids  on our way to the larger resorts..It's a real cool place , and warmer on cold days..
Would you say it’s a kids mountain? I’ve never skied it either. I’m always intrigued when I drive by but I wonder if that’s just because it’s right on top of the road.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Brownski wrote
JasonWx wrote
Harvey wrote
Would you say it’s a kids mountain? I’ve never skied it either. I’m always intrigued when I drive by but I wonder if that’s just because it’s right on top of the road.
It's a great intermediate mountain/family mountain with some trees thrown in for good measure..

it also get a fair amount of snow..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I’ve skied Bromley a few times. It’s pretty cool. What I remember most about it is my Father talking about skiing “Big Bromley” back in the 40’s. I use to have a wonderful picture of him and my Mother in classic ski garb from that era.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.