classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What is Aspen like?

Z
I starting my planning for this winters vacation this week.  I try to use FF miles and hotel points that I accumulate from work travel.  I just noticed that Westin has taken ownership and is remodeling the former Silvertree slopeside hotel at Snowmass.  Looks like a great location.  I've always wanted to go to Aspen but have not yet been there.  Surprisingly Aspen seems pretty easy to fly to from Albany with just one stop in Chicago and 4 flights a day from ORD.

Does anyone have any experience that they can share about Aspen, Snowmass, and Aspen Highlands?

From the trail maps it looks like there is tons of blues and lots of Double blacks.  Since I'll be skiing with my 9 year old I'm looking to find out how double black is their terrian.  He is a very strong skier but not ready to be hucking off cliffs or able to earn his turns by hiking yet.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What is Aspen like?

Z
in looking at the MT stats they seem to have on all three mountains only around 12-15% blacks and 30-40% double blacks.  My experience with most mountains (except Jackson and Squaw) is that these stats don't sound right.  They also have both double blacks and EX on the trail map another sign that the double blacks may not be Jackson worthy double blacks.

My kid can ski anyting at Whiteface including the slides but I need a reality check from someone that has been there if there will be too much double and not enough black
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Coach,
My daughter lives in Aspen along with some lifelong family friends.  We have been going to visit almost every year for the last 10.  My favorites are Snowmass and Aspen Highlands.  There is terrain at each that will give you some second thoughts before dropping in.  Snowmass has the crowds around the base area, but when you get up into the bowls and expert terrain, even during a holiday week, it's just ski onto the lift.  My wife is a teacher, so always go during Feb. break and never had any crowd issues, except at the base.  We have had mutiple days where we just made laps in untracked snow.  If you need accomodations I recommend the Pokolodi at Snowmass.  It's about a 500' walk to the lifts, includes breakfast and has an outdoor heated pool.  My friends in Aspen and daughter always recommend it as the most reasonably price accomodations in the area.  There is also a fantastic public transportation system, so once there, you really don't need a car.  When are you thinking of going?  We will be going Presidents week again this year.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
unfortunately i can't go presidents week because both my wife and I have to teach at Whiteface then and my son has races

I'm looking at the week after that - should not be too crowded that week i would expect.  Punching Aspen will mean there are very few major US ski areas that i have not skied that are bucket list worthy.

a car free vacation would be nice for a change

I understand that everything in Aspen is going to be really pricey but I'm going to use SPG points for the hotel, FF miles for the air, PSIA rate for lift tickets, no rental car so the only thing to pay full boat on is my kids lifts and all  our meals.  It may be the cheapest vacation in Aspen in history not involving sleeping on a buddies floor but it still will run a couple of grand I'd expect.  

I've found that some really high end places that i have skied that cater to the wealthy have great skiing that the wealthy don't touch which makes for more freeshies for us.  I remember hearing in the hotel in Vail one time a lady in a fur coat was saying if its snowing I ain't going.  That works really well for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Coach Z wrote
I've found that some really high end places that i have skied that cater to the wealthy have great skiing that the wealthy don't touch which makes for more freeshies for us.  I remember hearing in the hotel in Vail one time a lady in a fur coat was saying if its snowing I ain't going.  That works really well for me.

That's how it works in Deer Valley. Better powder than Alta/Snowbird, especially on weekends, because it lasts much longer. I've never skied Aspen, so, I'll just shut up at this point..........
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Having only heard about it from my dad, seen it in WM movies, etc:

The mountain is the Whiteface of Colorado with the Playboy mansion on the bottom.

I say, wait till the kid can really appreciate it, you know?

Just kidding, but my guess is you'd be fine there. Think steep steep steep for resort skiing, but not cliffy and with abundant snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I have friends that live there so I see the seamy,local underbelly of Apsen... :)

Aspen Mt/Ajax is a great hill...  You catch the gondola from the town(2 blocks from my friends pizza place)...
Mountain is steep and fun...

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
hook a brother up DMC!  Want to rock me some pizzia in Aspen!

I ride with Crazy Horse!