What is the most important part of an experience?

34 messages Options
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: What is the most important part of an experience?

Amen!
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I like Brownski's reports and blogs as well. Definitely "one of us" as in dads with black ski pants preaching the gospel to our kids.
Ha! One day maybe they’ll start listening
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
YUKON CORNELIUS YUKON CORNELIUS
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
This quote got me thinking:
raisingarizona wrote
My Uncle told me a story about being at a game farm in Wyoming where a guy paid 4k to walk up to a bison and shoot from 10 feet away. That bison was like a pet that was hand fed by humans it's whole life.

Eccentric rich folks sure do seem confused on the aspects that make accomplishments special.
What aspects make accomplishments feel special?

Rich people love to do the "experience collecting" thing these days. I had 3 different friends on my Facebook feed vacationing in the Greek Islands last week.

But what is "special" about paying a bunch of money to go somewhere and have a very similar experience to every other tourist? What is "special" about shooting a pet bison?

And what defines the experience? How many miles should that guy have hiked, how many hours should he have spent hiding behind a rock, to get the true "bison hunting" experience?

I ask these questions as someone who had a staged "Stand up paddleboarding with the dolphins" thing in a large dolphin holding center in the Carribean, not the real, open water dolphins-in-the-wild experience.

And I also ask these questions as someone who will definitely pay tons of money to heli-ski from sick mountain peaks this winter if I win the Mega Millions tonight, bypassing the "real" experience of starting before dawn and slogging up 6,000 vertical feet to ski one run.
I had a couple of friends who travelled to the Greek Islands about 10 years ago. All they talked about when they got back were the $2 Heinekens.

Still trying to figure out how you go all the way to Greece and the highlight is cheap, bad beer.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

I had a couple of friends who travelled to the Greek Islands about 10 years ago. All they talked about when they got back were the $2 Heinekens.

Still trying to figure out how you go all the way to Greece and the highlight is cheap, bad beer.
+1 Yukon Cornelius.  Gotta be in the moment.