What’s a respectable amount of vertical for a day?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What’s a respectable amount of vertical

Brownski
raisingarizona wrote
With lift tickets somewhere from around 75 to 200 bones for a day most folks would rather spend there time skiing or enjoying the lodge, not sitting on a slow chair lift.
Something to remember is that those complicated detachable systems (not to mention bubbles and heated seats) cost a lot more to purchase and require more costly maintenance. That constitutes a big portion of the ticket price. Not all of it I know, but a lot. If it kept the window price to $60 would a fixed quad going full speed be good enough?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Slow lifts are fine if the lead to good terrain or good snow.
Take Gore as an example since you know it - the summit double has some of the best terrain/snow off it. A lot of places are changing out those old lifts with faster ones. Alta is a perfect example when the swapped out Supreme - it changed the character of the area, I only hope the don’t swap out wildcat.

Although I love BC touring, the kind of touring I do is 90% hiking & skating/gliding and 10% skiing. It’s just relaxing to be out in the woods. It’s not always about untracked and sometimes you want it tracked and if the skiing is better in bounds and you feel the need for speed - go ride a lift.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It's whatever floats your boat. I would much rather have a 20k powder day. When I'm lazy I shut it down early. It's just something to do once in a while. I also like skiing in the woods for a couple hours a lot. Nothing wrong with keeping track. Nothing wrong with not keeping track. Something wrong if you don't ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
tjf1967 wrote
Something wrong if you don't ski.
Define “don’t ski”.  I think it’s hard to make a blanket statement like this because as people evolve (age, mostly) what is “right” and what is “wrong” changes, to a degree.  In the immortal words of Led Zep....in the days of my youth.....know what I mean?

Sure, when I was younger didn’t think twice about fast skiing on East Coast days of hard snow, icy moguls, and no woods.  These days, at 50, I avoid those days as best I can, and spend my time on other pursuits, sports, whatnot.  I mean, I could get to 30 days a year if I was to forgo those other pursuits and spend marginal days on hard snow I don’t find that enjoyable, or I could stick to my 18 or so days a year and make them 80% powder/woods/BC/corn, and 100% enjoyable......vert be damned.  No, I don’t put skis to snow, hard or otherwise, as much as I could, and there ain’t nuthin’ wrong with that.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey wrote
PeeTex wrote
20k resort skiing is a good day. 2k touring is a better day

Agree.

And here's the thing, if 2k or 5k is ok in the BC because of a better experience and the potential for better snow, the WHY isn't 15k (vs 30) better on a slower chair that leads to better snow.

How do you jive:

"We rule, we earned our turns!"

with

"Slow lifts suck!" and "Gore has flat spots!"

All three things lead to better snow.

MAKES. NO. SENSE.
Most people have to work during the week which means more people on the mountain on Sat/Sun. With slow/low capacity lifts you end up standing in line and then have a long, slow ride up the mountain. This means less skiing. The reason we all drive hours from the flatland is to ski, not stand around for 20 minutes and then sit for 15 minutes in order to get a run. This was skiing before high speed lifts (or Smugglers Notch today). It sucked, but it was all we knew. I understand that the snow is better with less lift capacity, but I do not need to drive 4 plus hours to pay to stand/sit outside in the winter for 40 minutes out of every hour. I can do that in my backyard for free.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
MAKES. NO. SENSE.

Most people have to work during the week which means more people on the mountain on Sat/Sun. With slow/low capacity lifts you end up standing in line and then have a long, slow ride up the mountain. This means less skiing. The reason we all drive hours from the flatland is to ski, not stand around for 20 minutes and then sit for 15 minutes in order to get a run. This was skiing before high speed lifts (or Smugglers Notch today). It sucked, but it was all we knew. I understand that the snow is better with less lift capacity, but I do not need to drive 4 plus hours to pay to stand/sit outside in the winter for 40 minutes out of every hour. I can do that in my backyard for free.

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Harvey wrote
PeeTex wrote
20k resort skiing is a good day. 2k touring is a better day

Agree.

And here's the thing, if 2k or 5k is ok in the BC because of a better experience and the potential for better snow, the WHY isn't 15k (vs 30) better on a slower chair that leads to better snow.

How do you jive:

"We rule, we earned our turns!"

with

"Slow lifts suck!" and "Gore has flat spots!"

All three things lead to better snow.

MAKES. NO. SENSE.

Ski Plattekill.  Old, low capacity lifts.  No lift lines.  Even when cars are parked down the road.  Also, low skier density on the trails, even on crowded days.  And, because, they're only open Fri-Sun and holiday weeks, they groom less, which keeps the snow much softer, let alone all of the ungroomed trails. Granted, Plattekill is an anomaly. Actually, on the other hand, maybe don't ski Plattekill...otherwise things might change.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JasonWx
On weekends my point is most valid.  Pow day midweek, high speed lifts might make more sense.

Jason at time you choose Plattekill over Hunter. Why?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Platte is unique. It's one of the few areas where slow lifts make sense. The runs are pretty short and skier density is low.

Imagine if Gore was to switch out the ADK highspeed with a slow double, to preserve the experience? You would want to shoot yourself.

My kids and some of my friends hate slow lifts.. Personally it depends on the mood I'm in.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, and if you get in the right mood even a high speed lift ride can seem like it takes forever!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Fastest fixed grip lift only drops one person on the summit each chair...and they are only skiers
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
sudsnbumps wrote
Fastest fixed grip lift only drops one person on the summit each chair...and they are only skiers
Very good point
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller