classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
73 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's stopping you?

marznc
Benny Profane wrote
Grand Targhee senior pass is in the 300s, also at age 65. The housing situation is different, though, because, what makes that side of the pass desirable, lack of crowds, also makes it a little harder to find a long term rental. But, they are there. If you want to buy, there are very affordable, recently built condos still left over from the housing crash. Won't be there forever, though.

I just want to get my hands on a Targheezer sticker. The old guys formed a club, and they have a great logo.
Hadn't heard about a bunch of geezers at GT.  Always fun to listen to the Wild Old Bunch at Alf's at Alta or chat on a lift ride with one.

That gives me another idea.  Find a house in SLC for a month or so.  Then find a friend or two who wants to ski around SLC for 4-7 days during that month.  Head up to Driggs to ski GT.  Not quite day trip driving distance, but I would make the drive to ski 2-3 days after a powder storm.  Don't think I'd want to spend more than a week in Driggs.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
You can't go up to ski at the Ghee and not ski at Jackson. It's seriously the best ski mountain in the country.

The Ghee is nice and I get the lazy, easy going powder skiing thing but Jackson is just packed with features and has huge vert. Don't miss it.

I'll also recommend a day at Snowking. It's a super cool little mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
raisingarizona wrote
You can't go up to ski at the Ghee and not ski at Jackson. It's seriously the best ski mountain in the country.

The Ghee is nice and I get the lazy, easy going powder skiing thing but Jackson is just packed with features and has huge vert. Don't miss it.

Have skied a few days at JH.  Enough to know that I prefer GT.  Just as I prefer Alta over Snowbird.  Did as an intermediate and still do now that I can ski the more challenging terrain at both places.  Perhaps because that wasn't true until after I was in my 50s.  Would also like to get lucky and ski PowMow on a powder day.  Different strokes for different folks. :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Grand Targhee senior pass is in the 300s, also at age 65. The housing situation is different, though, because, what makes that side of the pass desirable, lack of crowds, also makes it a little harder to find a long term rental. But, they are there. If you want to buy, there are very affordable, recently built condos still left over from the housing crash. Won't be there forever, though.

I just want to get my hands on a Targheezer sticker. The old guys formed a club, and they have a great logo.
Hadn't heard about a bunch of geezers at GT.  Always fun to listen to the Wild Old Bunch at Alf's at Alta or chat on a lift ride with one.

That gives me another idea.  Find a house in SLC for a month or so.  Then find a friend or two who wants to ski around SLC for 4-7 days during that month.  Head up to Driggs to ski GT.  Not quite day trip driving distance, but I would make the drive to ski 2-3 days after a powder storm.  Don't think I'd want to spend more than a week in Driggs.
marznc wrote
Benny Profane wrote

Don't forget Big Sky, which is just a few hours north of Driggs. On the Maxpass. Pretty drive.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

Jackson is a little lower, and more important, practically south facing, so conditions during marginal times can suck, compared to Ghee. It's also, much more crowded, and, with, generally, quality skiers, so, the whole mountain can be bumped up off groomers a few days after a storm. Classic place, but, always go there in January, never March. Short season.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
In 1997 I left Ct.and skied the el nino at Taos Ski Valley,then moved to NW Montana and never looked back.Like many skiers,I came for the skiing,but really fell in love with all the seasonal sports and pastimes.I've been lucky to meet great friends and share countless powder days.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
I totally get how if you're planning a trip from the east it could be easy to justify not committing to Jackson in hit or miss March but that's not what we were talking about. For the record, March is historically their best snow producer. If you are in SLC and thinking of going during a storm cycle then it's probably going to be good at the Vill even if there's some underlying crust on the lower sections of the Lower Faces. Heck, there's plenty of skiing right off of the thunder and Sublette chairs that has way more features and playful terrain than all of the Ghee. I like the Ghee, it's a fun place to make mellow powder turns during a storm cycle or the day the clouds pop but lets be honest, it's a pretty featureless mountain.

The back country access isn't even close to being comparable. The Ghee has some fun stuff if you like dropping off really big rocks but their best sidecountry shot (Nitwits) isn't even legal.

And Jackson is predominantly east facing, not south. Like I said I can get the argument against booking a trip from the east for March but that's not an issue if you're already in SLC for a month.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Don't forget Big Sky, which is just a few hours north of Driggs. On the Maxpass. Pretty drive.
Quite aware of Big Sky.  My first day skiing at GT was part of a late season ski safari that started at SLC airport, involved two cars driving to Driggs, a short ski day at GT followed by driving to Big Sky for a ski forum gathering.  We had very good weather for the drives.  First two days of skiing in Montana were at Bridger Bowl.  After a week at Big Sky, we drove to Alta for more skiing.  I'm curious to ride the new lifts at both Big Sky and Bridger.

I wanted to use the MAX Pass to return to Big Sky this season but my travel crew wanted to return to Taos again first.  So we're adding a few days at Telluride since it's on the MCP.  I have all sorts of ideas floating in my head about how to get the most out of the MAX Pass for 2018-19 in the northeast and Big Sky.  One friend is interested already. The question becomes whether to fly to SLC or Bozeman.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by 2000yearoldskier
2000yearoldskier wrote
In 1997 I left Ct.and skied the el nino at Taos Ski Valley,then moved to NW Montana and never looked back.Like many skiers,I came for the skiing,but really fell in love with all the seasonal sports and pastimes.I've been lucky to meet great friends and share countless powder days.
Besides Big Sky and Bridger, where else in MT would you recommend if someone where doing a little ski safari?  My crew are mostly advanced older skiers comfortable on Taos blacks in decent visibility, with one geezer who started skiing double-blacks at TSV last season during a Taos Ski Week.  We'll do a short (10-20 min) in-bounds hike but mainly stick with lift-served terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
marznc wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Quite aware of Big Sky.  My first day skiing at GT was part of a late season ski safari that started at SLC airport, involved two cars driving to Driggs, a short ski day at GT followed by driving to Big Sky for a ski forum gathering.  We had very good weather for the drives.  First two days of skiing in Montana were at Bridger Bowl.  After a week at Big Sky, we drove to Alta for more skiing.  I'm curious to ride the new lifts at both Big Sky and Bridger.

I wanted to use the MAX Pass to return to Big Sky this season but my travel crew wanted to return to Taos again first.  So we're adding a few days at Telluride since it's on the MCP.  I have all sorts of ideas floating in my head about how to get the most out of the MAX Pass for 2018-19 in the northeast and Big Sky.  One friend is interested already. The question becomes whether to fly to SLC or Bozeman.
SLC, no brainer. More flights, cheaper, easier. Closer to the goods once you land, too.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Benny Profane wrote
marznc wrote
SLC, no brainer. More flights, cheaper, easier. Closer to the goods once you land, too.
I agree flying into SLC is better.  But my friend is working and going to grad school, so taking an extra day just for travel may be a non-starter.  Too much of a push to fly in SLC and drive to Big Sky on the same day.  Of course, I could fly to SLC earlier and we could meet up at Big Sky or in Bozeman.  My other ski buddy is willing to drive to meet me in SLC for ski trips.  His ski car has two ski boxes. :-)

Staying in Bozeman for a night or two and warming up at Bridger is helpful for altitude adjustment, as well as getting ski legs ready for a cheaper lift ticket.
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
marznc... Montana's ski hills are great.. from BigSky Discovery is 2 hours plus.Showdown is small but worth a day.Snowbowl is the Montana version of Mad River Glen,steep with all not alot of grooming.Lost Trail Powder Mt. is truth in advertising,thursday pow is a local favorite.Lookout Pass gets great snow and has neat plans for expansion.Turner truly is a blast , low elevation ( 3500--5500) and open fri - sun ,when condition are right 1  2000 vert chair is better than a snowcat.Just south of Big Mt is Blacktail Mt. 1400 vert of north faceing terrain is a great family hill and not bad on a pow wednesday.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
2000yearoldskier wrote
marznc... Montana's ski hills are great.. from BigSky Discovery is 2 hours plus.Showdown is small but worth a day.Snowbowl is the Montana version of Mad River Glen,steep with all not alot of grooming.Lost Trail Powder Mt. is truth in advertising,thursday pow is a local favorite.Lookout Pass gets great snow and has neat plans for expansion.Turner truly is a blast , low elevation ( 3500--5500) and open fri - sun ,when condition are right 1  2000 vert chair is better than a snowcat.Just south of Big Mt is Blacktail Mt. 1400 vert of north faceing terrain is a great family hill and not bad on a pow wednesday.
Thanks!  Looking at the map, seems as if there is plenty of reason to go visit my friend who lives in Missoula for a week or so. :-)