classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What tires you guys like?

MikeK
Banned User
Bike tires of course.  MTB.  For trails and stuff.

I'm using Contis on my hardtail, 2.2 Mtn King Frnt, 2.2 X King Rear and Maxxis Ikons on my rigid bike, 2.4 Frnt, 2.2 Rear.

I haven't done any serious rides in the North Country with either yet, I had other tires on before, but I'll most likely be using my hardtail.

I'm thinking of eventually moving the 2.2 Mtn King to the rear and putting a 2.4 up front.  Whatever setup, I much prefer having more front grip than rear grip.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What tires you guys like?

Marcski
I ride a full suspension. I have the same conti tire in the back and a Schawlbe Hans Dampf up front in a 2.35".

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/hans_dampf

I feel it is a great setup for the riding I prefer. Good grip, long life and pretty good rolling resistence.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Thanks Marc - I'm familiar with the HD.  It's kinda similar to the Conti I have up front but perhaps more aggressive.

I went with the skinny, low tread rear for RR and the more aggressive knobby for grip up front.  So far no issues climbing or turning, but I do lock up my rear sometimes under braking with the X King.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
FWIW, I have Specialized "The Captain - Control" 2.25, front and rear. I got these to replace the square-knob Kendas that came with the bike. The Kendas worked fine in dry conditions but kind of sucked in the wet conditions we often have. The Captains are awesome, they seem to work well in a variety of conditions and are holding up.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Maxxis High Roller 2.0.

Because I'm a baller.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Schwalbe Nobby Nics came on the bike and are great but didn't wear very well, replaced the rear with a maxxis ardent. pretty good all around but i don;t think i have the skills or confidence to find the sweet spot in the corners. they can be a little sketchy if you're not committed to really laying it over on the flow type trails.

I had HR's on my 26r and will probably go back with the HR2's next change - I must be baller too

You guys running tubes or tubeless? I never got around to setting up tubeless without much incident - a pinch flat here and there but no big deal for the most part. Recently there has been an invasive species removal project (autumn olive) on  my local track that has left me with 4 thorn flats in 4 rides  though the tubeless guys aren't faring a whole lot better.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I hated the Nobbies.  The way they breakaway was the worst for me - maybe if you ride on really loose, loam or sand they'd be nice, but for compacted clay... uh uh.  Actually didn't like them in the dacks either FWIW.

I'm still clinging onto tubes.  Have had flashes of madness where I wanted to get another wheel setup and go tubeless, but I don't really know why?  Perhaps for a little more grip?  A little less weight?

I'm fat, can make it up everything I ride and corner fast enough to scare myself.  Can't really justify it
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front and rear on the fully Turner 5 Spot and Kenda Small Block 8 on the hard tail. All are set up tubless.  Most of the guys I ride with are on the Nevegals for riding slime, spooge and other ADK surfaces.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
MTB:

For early season wetter conditions and/or more rude-root-rocky gnar a Maxxis  EXO Ardent 2.25 rear and a Maxxis Minion DHF super tacky 2.35 front.  Drier, later season I switch and run an Ardent on the front, and a Maxxis CrossMark 2.25 on the rear.  

Road/gravel/dirt road and easy trail Bike:

Currently going with Michelin Country Rock 1.75's - front and rear.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.