What were your goals for the (2010-2011) season?

20 messages Options
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: What were your goals for the (2010-2011) season?

Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Mine was to have a good time and I’m happy to say I was very successful.
LOL...took the words right out of my keyboard
green light green light
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Long time lurker, first post. Successfully completing the season without having another run named after me was my goal. I accomplished it.
Gunny J Gunny J
Reply |

Entering the (2010-2010) season my usual goal of 40 days was one objective, staying in one piece was another since I had rotatorcuff surgery in July and the doctor suggested no skiing for one year. I racked up 44 days and I am in one piece!

Getting out for a couple (sometimes hard to find) powder days  was  at the top of my list. This winter has allowed.

However having 4 children and fulltime career some opportunities just do not work out. We hike a nature preserve in the spring and fall that would just ski beautifully but the timing and snowpack just never worked out. Also calling the Catskills my home mountain I really wanted to ski with everyone at Platt on facebook day.

All in all 2010-2011 was a ski year Easterners long for and soon will not be forgotten.

The day I turned 44

Skiing on my Birthday was still fun after 2" rain storm
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Denis.N Denis.N
Reply |

In reply to this post by jimvdak
My daughter learned skiing and had some 25-30 ski days. Not that it was a goal, but she really liked it and that what's matters.

jimvdak wrote
Next Year's goal mountains to add to my list: Gore, Plattekill, and Mad River Glen. I also want to try some low pitch glades for the first time...
jimvdak, try Twister, Tahawus and now Chatterbox glades at Gore. For me first two were perfect introduction to glade skiing.
Face4Me Face4Me
Reply |

My goal was to get 50 days in, for the first time ever. Unfortunately, I only got in 32 before injury ended my season in February. I'm not sure whether I would have made it to 50 or not without the injury, but it sure would have been fun trying!!! There's always next year!

I'd like to extend a word of thanks to all of you who have been posting your trip reports and pictures throughout March and April ... Since I wasn't able to be out there myself, I at least got to enjoy things through your reports. I hope to meet up with you all next season, and get a chance to take some runs with you.

Enjoy the off-season everyone!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
ausable skier ausable skier
Reply |

My goals

ski lots of powder - 7 certified powder days, 5 of them truely epic

ski a lot with my son - check

ski at least 4 runs in the slides in one day - check

ski jay peak on a powder day - nope but but did get some really nice glade skiing in there

60+ days on snow - check

learn to tele - the skiing was so good i didn't get out on the tele skis as much as i had planned but did get to where i can tele on the face lift

keep getting better and learning new things - check

all in all a really great season

Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Hmmm... goals.  Guess I had just one:  to ski every weekend with my family and make skiing as fun, exciting and challenging for them as it is for me, especially for my 7-yr-old son.  We had a great season start to finish, missing just one weekend in March and closing weekend in April, and I now have a ski demon son who can ski the mountain top to bottom, trails trees and glades, and loves it as much as I do.

I haven't counted, but I must have gotten in 40+ days on skis.  Conditions were really great this winter, so the quality of those days was high, perhaps my best in a decade or so.  I would have liked more XC and backcountry days, didn't get a WF slides day, and missed the Hickory tele-fest, but those are all pretty minor misses in an overall great season.  I put together a short summary of my season's highlights, and the fact that I had a hard time chosing which highlights to include is a good indication of a great season.

The real challenge will be incorporating our daughter, now 3 yrs old, into our ski season when she gets on the snow next year.  But I've already got some good strategies in mind for that...
SIAWOL SIAWOL
Reply |

I didn't start the season with any goals, per se. But as the season progressed there were a couple milestones that I notched:

-got the 4yr old ripping. Wasn't sure he'd make it this year, but he did and he loved it! From the carpet to a (hesitant) Otter Slide Glades in 1 season--awesome and couldn't be prouder. 6yr old finished her 3rd season and is absolutely shredding. Not a tear or a whine from either all season, even with the 545a wake up calls....

-drop a certain cliff in a certain glade. Both remain nameless. I'd spent more time the past 3 seasons standing at the lip and trying to work up the courage. Finally went for it this year....6-7 times. Never as bad as I was afraid of--it's just a mental thing. A tad over 6 feet drop--not huge for a lot of kids out there, but for a 35yr old father it was intimidating. And amazingly, I never saw signs of anyone else hitting it all season!

-cleared the stepdowns in the park. Again, more mental than anything. But I found myself spending lots of afternoons on Wild Air and I figured, "hey, why not work on these this year?"

RosieSki RosieSki
Reply |

My only goal for this season was to not wreck myself again like I did last year (tore my ACL last season, that was fun  ).  I was successful!  And I didn't take the easy way and only ski blue groomed trails all winter, I spent a lot of time skiing bumps and trees, which was much more than I was expecting to be able to do at the beginning of the season as ungroomed stuff was a big question mark this season with the new ACL.  I also finally got to ski the few glades at Gore that had previously eluded me and got in quite a few powder days.  It definitely was a great season!
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

My goals were not met.

I only had two skiing related goals this year: Make a sweet season long ski edit, and ski at least 5 backcountry days.  I only got 1 bc (and a half, I guess) day and I didn't shoot any video at all (focused more on my photography).

I'm not bummed, though.  I was up around 60-65 days, I had a bunch of great powder days, great spring bumps, and a ton of tree skiing.  Plus some successful trips to VT, and a PSIA Level 3 pin for tele.  Overall, it was a great season.