13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What would you buy? FS MTB

Cunningstunts
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Although I'm temped to get a fatbike for next year - I think gravel biking is getting me through the lack of snow, so I may convert my Karate Monkey back to full cyclocross status next year.  But that is only if I have two MTB - I always need two trail bikes because I'm not willing to miss days riding if one is broken.

I've been thinking of something to compliment my current hard tail, which is a carbon AM HT with 120mm front travel, 29in wheels.  I'll still use this is as my main trail bike, but I want something for

a) longer old-school trail rides in the southern tier.  This is typically rough, rolling terrain with few man-made features.

b) perhaps some lift-served?  Or at least the longer descents where my hands go numb and my knees are screaming.

This has me wanting a full suspension bike, although it probably doesn't need to be to the caliber of the my HT.  Lesser suspension and drivetrain comps are OK because I probably won't put as many miles on it total.

I have two bikes in mind:

1) YT Jeffsy AL 27 - this is the bike I recommended Harv get, except in the lowest build spec.

2) Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol, Ride 2

Although I probably should consider a FS XC bike from the big brands, because it would probably do just as well, although I'm not sure my riding style would be the best for a XC race-type bike.

The YT is $700 cheaper but the GG is made in the USA, which is a big plus.  I'd also imagine the customer support from GG to be superior.

As far as the two builds, I actually like the YT better.  I prefer FOX suspension to RS, although I've ridden the Revelation fork that comes on the GG, and it's a nice fork.  Both drivetrains are similar - I prefer Shimano, but SRAM NX is OK too.  I don't love SRAM brakes, but both have them, and they'll do.  I don't know much about either of the droppers, but I'm willing to chance either.  If it sucks, I'll replace it later.

Now to the real thing - the two bikes are going to be radically different.  One is a 150mm travel 27, the other is a 120mm 29er.  I really think my riding would be fine with either, but I figured the 27 YT might be something different to the two 29ers I already have.  GG makes a similar 27 bike, but I don't like the build spec as much.

What would you buy, and why?  It might all come down to $$$ in the end.  Not sure if I'll have an extra $700 this spring to dump on a new bike.  I'm pretty sure I can swing the $2300 though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What would you buy? FS MTB

Sick Bird Rider
Without going into to detail, I would buy either of these for the comfort and versatility in our area:

I've ridden an earlier version of this bike and it is mind-expanding:
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/pony_rustler/pony_rustler_carbon_gx_eagle

Here is the report from a while back:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Today-s-Ride-tp2886003p4064548.html

with Hinterlandian dollars at play, I would consider a used Devinci Marshall or Hendrix, sadly not in the current lineup.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Thanks for the response SBR.

I've done quite a bit of searching and keeping up with the industry, so I those two bikes I listed are high on my list - actually there are some reasons perhaps the GG won't make the cut, but I won't go into that.

The pony rustler is an interesting bike, but in carbon, is far beyond my budget.  The AL version doesn't quite come with a suspension I like and is rather heavy (34lbs).  I also feel pretty good with the grip/weight level of 2.3" tires.

I really don't need "comfort", but I like to ride fast.  I tend to set my current suspension up fairly stiff, but it's so I can handle jumps and drops and bigger obstacles when I'm going 15-25 mph - typical descent speeds.  I don't much care about most slow speed stuff except maybe some old-school rough singletrack where I want to pedal in the saddle and not get a prostate exam in the process.

Technically speaking, nothing I ride is needing of a FS bike or larger tires.

If weight was less of an issue, and I had the money now, I'd probably buy this bike:

https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/transition-scout-gx-evo-complete-bike

But that thing is a hoss at around 32 lbs and I probably won't have the finances in line until late winter/early spring.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Also, to confuse things more that YT I linked is going to change for 2019, and I don't know how.  It might not be what I'm after.  Not sure what they might do to the comp spec, pricing and geometry.  That could definitely change my mind.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I don't think you can go wrong.

Buy whatever one looks cooler.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
They all look good when you're riding them (I can never actually see my bike)!

I'm trying to give myself a reason not to go YT.  But I can't.  It is (was) a great design.  The value of bike for the $ is unbeatable.  The base comp spec is good.

I'll see what the 2019 looks like.  It should be better, but of course, that is subjective.

I don't know how it's possible, but my last three bikes got better and better with almost no tradeoff.  My current bike is the longest bike I've ever owned and yet it handles better than any bike I've ever owned.  Somehow it manages to be super stable at speed yet very agile in tight, slow sections.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
YT released the new Jeffsy today.

Good news is the base AL bike is the same price - https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/2122/sCategory/511

Bad news is they dropped the AL Comp and now only offer three levels of the carbon version if you want something with a better spec.

Couple other changes - one good one is it comes with SRAM NX Eagle.  It's the lowest spec, but it's still Eagle and will be easy to upgrade when things wear out.

They went with a Hydro dropper.  A relatively new offering that I know nothing about.  It has a two year warranty, so that's not so bad.

Brakes were downgraded to SRAM Guide T.  Not a big deal but they lack some adjustment of the higher levels.

Other than that, it's the same suspension, wheels and geometry.  There's some blabbing on the description, but the numbers look the same to me.

I think if I bite, I'll go for the 29er.  The numbers in the large just look like they'd fit me better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Well - I asked my wife yesterday, "Can I buy a bike?"

I expected her to say no.  To my surprise she said I could if she could work more hours!  Wow - man does that work out, I get a new toy and she works to pay for it    The downside is I have to work more (without compensation) and have less free time.  Oh well, this winter sucks anyway...

I did a lot thinking in the past few days and actually came upon some good deals on some Transitions.  And god knows I'm a sucker for Transition.  They were still more money than a YT, but it was now between a Scout and a Smuggler, a 27 vs a 29er.  Both short travel bikes, which is what I would actually prefer.

Waffled a lot, but decided I'm fully invested in the 29ers and my riding is very much XC orientated.

I almost ended up with this bike last year with my warranty replacement, but decided to get my carbon HT.  I don't regret it, and now I'm going to have both.

I was glad to pick up an older (2017) Smuggler.  The new ones are way bigger and heavier.  Because I'm in between sizes, I decided that sizing up would be closest to modern geometry - the numbers are within a few mm of the new medium and pretty close to what I am riding now.  I like that these bikes are a little steeper with a shorter wheelbase.  It's still about an inch longer than what I'm riding currently, but I think for what I'm going to ride with it, it won't be too bad.

Cool thing is, the bike I bought has a SWEET spec.  GX Eagle, Pike and Monarch, and some decent Raceface wheels.  I'm going to sell the tires it comes with (Schwalbe Nobby Nics) and replace with MInions and ditch the Reverb dropper, which I have no interest in.  Hopefully someone will buy that stupid thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx

Nice bike
I have owned 27.5 ,29ers and 27.5 +
for my experience I am 100% behind the 27.5+

I find it so much more nibble in tight terrain and rolls great in rock gardens etc
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Thanks!  I hope so!  I've never actually ridden any of the last 4-5? bikes before I bought them.  Never disliked any of them.

My wife has a 27.5 bike.  It's tough for me to evaluate it because it's too small for me, but honestly, I haven't ridden many.  I've ridden a few plus bikes at the LBS and my friend had a DB plus FS bike.  I always noticed they felt a little sluggish to me.  The one I liked the most was the Big Honzo, but I like that bike more with regular 29in tires.

Anyway - I didn't need another bike, but I was really wanting something for long, punishing rides that would still be fun to ride.  My HT is sweet for the smooth stuff near home, but I get beat up pretty good in the rougher stuff.

This bike is closest to my HT but it has 115mm of rear suspension.  It's supposedly wicked efficient but also can soak up stuff far more than the travel would suggest.

I thought of getting the Scout because it would be more "playful" but I had to be honest with myself.  My HT is super playful and fun to jump.  The stuff I want to ride with a FS bike has very little of that kind of stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Got that bike in.  Whoa... it's super sweet.  I CANNOT wait to ride it.  Almost want the snow to go away  (j/k - those objectives have me craving another powder day!)

For a 30lb bike, it doesn't feel that heavy.  I like the wheel set - really nice for Raceface stuff.  Hope the hubs are durable.  GX eagle is tits.  Haven't ridden it yet, but the parts look super nice.  Very good quality.  I'd definitely give a look if you are going to upgrade (Jason - hint... hint...).

I'm excited to try the pike.  It's the older gen (now) but it's the top of the line RCT, so it should be sweet.  It's supposed to be different than the 34, so I'll see if I can notice the differences.

The bike looks much cooler in person than the pics.  I prefer blacked out bikes, but I don't mind this color scheme.

Sizing feels biggish.  Went large - sat on the bike and reach, top tube and stack feel pretty good.  Seat is an issue though.  With a 150mm dropper I can't get the seat low enough with the dropper fully extended.  I was planning on taking the Reverb off and selling anyway, but now I really have to.  Now I know I need to get a 125.

Super impressed with the build from EVO too.  Bike looks to have been assembled nicely and was packed very well.  It was easy to put together.  I'll be taking it to the shop and going over it with a fine tooth comb though just to make sure everything is dialed.

Can't wait to SEND IT!!!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Excellent !! New bike day is the best!!!
I had the same problem with my dropper..I have a short inseam..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
It's just an older bike design before super long droppers became all the rage.  It even comes with a QR on the seat clamp

I can easily run a 175 on my other bike because they've dropped the seat tube and top tube so much.

125 is perfectly adequate for me though.