classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

When doing the right thing BITES!!!

Skidds
Uuugghhhh.

So bad wanted to bag work and head to Whiteface today.  Even had beacon/shovel/probe all lined up.  Slide are open today, too.  

Decided not to go because I would have had to drive into the teeth of a major snowstorm on the way home.  The idea of coming down the Northway in snow, hitting the Albany area around rush hour in the midst of a major snowstorm, and potentially having a 3 hour drive take who knows how long.......well, I did the responsible thing and didn't risk it.  The fact that I'm headed to Oakland tomorrow night and have a boatload of work to do also made it the right choice.

But boy, making the right choice feels like @#$%^!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: When doing the right thing BITES!!!

warp daddy
i get it ! I made a similar decision today too. I was to meet up with my bro in law but saw the reports and said Nope .

My buddies and i did it last week  during the storm and the drive home was pretty nasty and this week i would be riding solo ------------so i bagged it. But it sux
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
I've been kicking myself since last Thursday for not watching the weather reports more closely and getting up there on Thursday.  I blew it, big time!  Thursday was the perfect day to go, the day after the storm.  You don't get those chances all that often.  I considered Friday, but since the weather was bad I decided against it.  White knuckle driving for hours on end just isn't worth it, and that's assuming you aren't one of the unlucky ones who end up off the road!

Misery loves company, thanks for that!  Now we have to endure reports and pictures of how great the Slides were today, compounding said misery.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Skidds, I feel your pain.  Responsibility sucks!!!!  I've missed many a good day because of family or work responsibilities or just because the roads, etc. would have made making the trip a poor choice.  Try to just take solace in the knowledge that you did the right thing and remember all those great days that you have had on the mountains!  (I know, easier said than done.....). Hope you get that dream day out there soon!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I too feel your pain, I skied Plattekill last Saturday. The plan was to ski Whiteface Sunday, then head to the Mad River Valley. I got to Wilmington about nine, got a room. I get to the mountain at opening, and everything was on wind hold. I decided to get :a rain check and hit a smaller place in the Daks. These places are so small my GPS didn't know about them. That and being sleep deprived, I ended up not skiing, on probably the best ski day of the season. To rub salt in my wounds, I drove by MRG on the way to my lodging. I was depressed, spending $200 in gas and lodging, didn't help. It's all a distant memory now, after four days of fabulous skiing at Sugarbush and MRG. One more day at MRG, then back to reality.

You'll have other chances, maybe not this year though. You never know, Blizzard of 93 was in March

This was tough to leave behind. In retrospect, I should have taken a nap in my car, and skied it in the afternoon. Sleeping in in my hotel room would have been an option if I had known also.