145 messages Options
1 ... 5678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to move a skiing family?

marznc
Milo Maltbie wrote
Moving away from the grand kids is a different deal. If it weren't for grandchildren, us old farts would all be splitting our time between Costa Rica and Bozeman.

mm
I chatted with a grandfather from Chicago at Bridger last winter.  He moved there after retirement because his son "married a Montana girl" and it didn't take much to convince the grandparents to move to Bozeman after their grandson was born.  It was a powder day. I'd wondered why there were so many families with school age kids skiing. What I learned from him was that the slopes aren't empty during midweek storms because Bozeman schools and employers are "powder friendly."  Kids with good grades can go skiing if their parents can also take off instead of working during the day.  Of if they have skiing grandparents willing to take them.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I’m with PM - it’s the NE for me right now although if I had it to do over I might live on the North side of Schroon, maybe on Paradox. You have good access to Gore, WF, and the Vermont areas. Your 90 minutes to Burlington which is a really nice town. Burlington would be nice but the university has driven prices through the roof.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Kids with good grades can go skiing
Brilliant.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
marznc wrote
Brilliant.
Kids with good grades can always go skiing, the deal I had with my daughter and my grand daughter was that if they had a 95% across the board - I’d take the skiing on a powder day. Most of these school was canceled anyway, but they both always have great grades. #1 had her PhD in physics, #2 is on track for a PhD in Biochemistry.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
PeeTex wrote
Harvey wrote
marznc wrote
Brilliant.
Kids with good grades can always go skiing, the deal I had with my daughter and my grand daughter was that if they had a 95% across the board - I’d take the skiing on a powder day. Most of these school was canceled anyway, but they both always have great grades. #1 had her PhD in physics, #2 is on track for a PhD in Biochemistry.
Apparently there are some school systems these days that throw a fit when kids are taken out of school by parents.  My parents were professors and didn't think twice about my brother or I missing school for special activities or trips abroad.

For Bozeman, the fact that more parents are likely to work for a "power-friendly" employer has a bigger impact on the number of kids who get to spend the day on the slopes then the school policy.  There is a Blue Light at the top of a historical building at the center of town that is lit when it's going to be a powder day.  The Bridger website info includes the water content for a snowstorm, and it's only "powder" under a certain percentage.

Bozeman is one of the fastest growing cities in it's size category.  Fair to say that some of the locals who have been around for a while aren't thrilled with so many newcomers.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/city/population-growth-continues-in-gallatin-county-up-since/article_65d7cce4-e9e1-5108-a4e4-8dbe18e8c658.html
1 ... 5678