32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which Exposure/Aspect is Best?

snoloco
ml242 wrote
Have you been there often early season?
It isn't hard to find how they expand terrain.  Just look at the blog that's on their website.  I looked it up when Jeff said that they shoot to open all lifts for Christmas.

I guess you're saying that I can't post something that's right there on their website.  Since when did it become a rule that you can't post about any mountain unless you're an expert on it?  If that was the rule, then I wouldn't have posted TR's from Steamboat, Berkshire East, Mount Snow, or Tremblant.  They'd all be from Mountain Creek, which everyone comes up with every damn double standard or excuse as to why I can't post about it and should be banned for it.  I thought this was an interesting topic when I put it up, but if all you're gonna do is flame me, I'll just delete it.

What I posted was completely on topic and related to the thread, which I started myself.  A mountain with multiple aspects tends to open the most favorable ones first.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Sno,
I think you'll get less criticism if you cite your sources when your statements aren't based on personal experience. Just a little unsolicited advice but if your goal is to be helpful and informative, telling us where you got the info will actually enhance your posts. If your goal is to try to convince everybody how brilliant you are...
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
It isn't hard to find how they expand terrain.  Just look at the blog that's on their website.  I looked it up when Jeff said that they shoot to open all lifts for Christmas.

I guess you're saying that I can't post something that's right there on their website.  Since when did it become a rule that you can't post about any mountain unless you're an expert on it?  If that was the rule, then I wouldn't have posted TR's from Steamboat, Berkshire East, Mount Snow, or Tremblant.  They'd all be from Mountain Creek, which everyone comes up with every damn double standard or excuse as to why I can't post about it and should be banned for it.  I thought this was an interesting topic when I put it up, but if all you're gonna do is flame me, I'll just delete it.

What I posted was completely on topic and related to the thread, which I started myself.  A mountain with multiple aspects tends to open the most favorable ones first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_ww66EeN8
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I think this is the Tremblant blog post Sno is referencing:

Covering Mount Tremblant in snow, a sizable challenge!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I would think that keeping south facing slopes covered can be expensive, especially during warm lean winters.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Which is why in Tremblant's case, they wait until mid-December to open their south facing terrain when the temps are more favorable.

Killington does it the same way.  North Ridge opens first (north facing) expanding into Snowdon, Canyon, Ramshead, Snowshed, Superstar, and Needle's Eye before touching the southern aspects at Bear.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Money in no object
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Thacheronix wrote
Money in no object
Apparently there isn't enough money leftover to buy a compass either.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Here is my full combined map of Killington and Pico, fully built out with my master plan.  That means reopening all previously closed terrain and connecting Pico to Killington.  I spent over 2 hours creating it, so think again if you're going to flame me.

As you can see, Killington is mostly east facing, and Pico is mostly north facing.  However, if you know anything about where lifts are at Killington, you can see that some terrain off the Skye Peak Express and South Ridge lift (added with my plan) faces south.  The terrain off the Superstar and North Ridge lifts face north.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Voted in your poll SNO for north. I have a small hill up the road from me that has a nice ridge running north off it that forms a small bowl in the NE aspect of the hill. I can ski in that little bowl much later than anywhere around close by. So nature likes a northeast exposure for longer seasons. I enjoy your redesigns of ski areas.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Thanks, I like making ski area master plans.

One interesting thing is that Pico is all northern exposure and Killington is mostly eastern exposure, with some areas facing north and others south.  Pico is the older of the two, but both predate snowmaking by a long shot.  The southern aspects of Killington are newer terrain, opened late 70's/early 80's, after snowmaking was commonplace.  

Tremblant opened with the South Side that actually faces west in 1939.  Next was the North Side that actually faces east (don't know the exact year).  The Edge opened in 1994 or 1995, and also faces east.  The Soleil Side opened in 1999, and faces due south.  It was developed after snowmaking was "expected".

Another interesting thing is that Tremblant has twice removed lifts and then reused them to open new terrain.  The Edge Quad was originally the upper mountain lift on the South Side, a Doppelmayr model installed in 1985.  It was replaced by a Poma high speed quad in 1993, known as TGV.  The next year they sent it to open the new terrain.  The Soleil Express was originally the Tremblant Express and the main lift on the South Side.  It is a 1988 Doppelmayr.  It was replaced in 1998 by a Doppelmayr gondola.  The next season, it was reused to open the Soleil Side.