Whistler-Blackcomb January 26-28 2018

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whistler-Blackcomb January 26-28

JTG4eva!
Great powder morning on Whistler.  1/4 mile over the valley floor taking the Peak 2 Peak to Blackcomb.

Some comments from the day.......Whistler has never been this good, best day of the season, run of the year, choking on snow (literally).....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sorry Cloudspin, you may have met your match!

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Lunch in glass and vegan to boot..

this trip looks like a grand slam!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Nah, that’s a big stick of meat on the right!

So, it never stopped snowing today, not even in the village.  They had areas in the village roped off due to roof avalanches!  Made for a terrible drive most of the way to Squamish but the freshies all day were worth it.  Upper part of Blackcomb shut down early due to winds so I couldn’t get over to the Gemstones or Couloir Extreme.  Hopefully next time!  It wasn’t a picture kind of day so this is all I got.  Some of the tree bombs coming down were huge.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Way to nail it JTG.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I'm guessing that your ankle didn't give you any trouble?

JTG4eva! wrote
Nah, that’s a big stick of meat on the right!
Was going to say -- that's a pretty convincing piece of faux meat.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
A little sore at times when touring, but no major problems!

That drink is actually a Bloody Caesar, but the clam juice was hardly even noticeable.  Their Caesar is much better than their Mary.  It was at Christine’s on Blackcomb at the Rendesvous Lodge at the top of the Peak 2 Peak.  A little expensive ($24 US for an entree), but gourmet all the way.  A very civilized way to have lunch, as opposed to the hordes in the lodge who couldn’t find a table.  Reservations recommended or sit at the bar.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice job! Glad you got the POW
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Caesars are a Canadian thing.  Mixed with Clamato.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Those are the trees skiers right on Blackcomb.  You can't go wrong with Whistler.  BOOM nice job!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I saw that Mt. Baker got 12 feet of snow and is now getting 5 inches of rain. The snow in the last few pics of tree skiing looked warmer, is Whistler north enough to not get that rain?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Boy, RA, that is a complicated question!  As for the event that started yesterday (18 inches since yesterday morning, and counting at Whistler), I’d say yes.....the additional northern latitude made the difference.  Temps across Whistler yesterday and today range from the upper 20s to around freezing.  They did expect the freezing level to rise as high as 5,000 ft, but it never happened up there.  Stayed all snow even down to 2,000 ft.  The freezing level did rise at Baker, and a few degrees made all the difference.  The powder at Whistler yesterday was wetter than what they had been getting.  It was still plenty skiable fresh, but the kind of snow that packed down into firm Sierra cement/cascade concrete on piste.

Interestingly, while Baker holds the record for most snowfall in a single season, I believe Whistler holds title to highest average snowfall per season.  Baker has its own micro climate of dumpage, but being further north Whistler get the goods more consistently.

I think.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JTG4eva! wrote
I think.
I think you're right, but I'm not sure I would call anything consistent.  Warmth and rain are often expected at some points in every Winter throughout the Maritime zones.  Unfortunately, Last week's Cascade Powfest is quickly giving way to something pretty wet & ugly this week...  Fortunately, I'll be spending most of my time this week under water...
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
More consistently doesn’t necessarily mean consistent, if ya know what I mean!

Enjoy!  Where is that?  Not from the area fueling the Pineapple Express that is skunking you guys, I hope!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JTG4eva! wrote
More consistently doesn’t necessarily mean consistent, if ya know what I mean!

Enjoy!  Where is that?  Not from the area fueling the Pineapple Express that is skunking you guys, I hope!
Nope.  West Caribbean... Cayman Brac.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
The Brac is spectacular. If they offer to take u to bloody bay wall do it.  Might cost a bit more as an hour trip but incredible.