Whiteface: 12/21/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface: 12/21/11

Snowhunter
Finally made it up to Whiteface to pick-up my season pass and get my "local" ski season started.  I've been dying to get up there but I've been putting off the trip due to limited terrain and limited funds (I have to get the most for my buck as I'm out of work).

First view of the Mtn from Fox Farm Rd:

View from Fox Farm Rd

I always get a huge rush the first time I see the mountain wherever I go skiing and I'm sure most of you feel the same way.

Pulling into the lot I knew exactly where I was going right down to what bench I'd sit on to boot up (a sharp contrast from my trip to Killington a couple of months ago when I had no clue as to the layout since I hadn't been there in about 23 yrs!).  I love Whiteface and there is a comfort level I have when I'm there that is great.  

A quick trip to the ticket booth and next thing I was on line for the Gondola.  At this point it was time for a reality check...I am an avid skier who gets out much more than my friends but I'm quickly humbled by many of the exploits of people here on Harvey Road, still I carry myself with confidence.... Well next thing you know I'm going to place my skis in the rack of the Gondie and the brakes are caught on each other and I can't get them apart!  So here I am, so called "big time skier" fumbling with my skis and poles like some first timer in front of everyone on the lift line.  The attendant helped me out and I sheepishly boarded the car.  My fellow skiers quickly put me at easy but I definitely felt like I had been taken down a few notches.

It was pretty foggy at the top but I could see well enough to not make me hesitant.  I locked my boots in and took off down Excelsior.  The packed powder was nice and my confidence quickly returned.  

I worked my way down Excelsior, Lower Excelsior, Upper Valley, Lower Valley and Fox with just a few brief stops along the way as I get my legs back.  At the bottom I scooted over to the Bear Lift for a quick little ride so I could look around a bit.  Off the lift and straight down Fox to the Gondie.  I quickly realized that I was overdressed but I don't want to take a break so soon so I get right back on the Gondola (no tangled ski fiascoes this time!).

I made a few more runs trying to sample everything that I can, Essex, Lower Northway, Broadway, Easy Street, Brookside, Connector, John's Bypass & Victoria.  During this time I took a quick break and removed my shell (should have taken off a fleece instead...oh well).  Essex was a little icy at the top but the bottom 2/3rds was nice.  Victoria was wall to wall moguls (usually there is a groomed path on one side), this proved to be my biggest challenge of the day as my bump skills are lacking to say the least.  I made it down with just one fall so I'll consider it a successful run!

Around Noon it started to mist and it quickly turned to a steady rain.  I broke one of my rules and made two more runs (remember I said that I should have left the shell on???  well at this point I was regretting it!).  Around 12:30 I called it a day, soaked but satisfied!

Conditions stayed nice throughout the morning.  Packed powered with very few ice patches.  Bare patches were extremely rare on the open trails and not something that I really had to concern myself with.  In chatting with fellow skiers I found that most believed that yesterday was the best day of the week so far.  I wish that there was a little more terrain open and Facelift never opened like it was supposed to (while I was there at least) but all in all I'm glad that I made the trip and I can't wait to return!  In the mean time I can use my pass for some quick visits to Gore!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface: 12/21/11

Harvey
Administrator
Snowhunter wrote
First view of the Mtn from Fox Farm Rd:

View from Fox Farm Rd

I always get a huge rush the first time I see the mountain wherever I go skiing and I'm sure most of you feel the same way.
I certainly feel that way about Whiteface. Has to be the most dramatic approach in NY.

What is your rule? No skiing in the rain, or no skiing without a shell or...

IMO skiing in the rain almost always makes sense. Especially if it's followed by a cold front.

Nice one.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface: 12/21/11

Snowhunter
My rule is to not ski in the rain.  I usually just don't like it and it goes back to when I lived over 3 hrs from most ski areas and only got out 2-4 days a year.  Back then I skied in anything and everything just because I wanted every second on the slopes I could get and I knew how rare they were for me back then.  Now that I've got skiing in my backyard I'm spoiled and rather than be uncomfortable I just call it a day and come back another time.  I still appreciate the ski time, I just have the luxury of being a bit pickier these days.

That all said, I'm glad that I made the two last runs yesterday, soaked or not!