classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
332 messages Options
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

tjf1967
That is absurd.  Sorry you could not find anything.  Next time you are having trouble finding decent conditions  ask one of the hosts in the orange jacket.  The hill is huge with trail facing a lot of different directions.  You could/should have found great conditions on the groomers Friday

last run on Sunday

Last run on Sunday.  The run prior we were in deeper.
Reply | Threaded
|

gkny
tjf1967 wrote
That is absurd.
i wish. it was reality.
Reply | Threaded
|

gkny
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
If you don't like trees beacon equipped or not you will not like the slides.  Same skills apply in both
I don't like trees, but liked slide 1,2  three or four years ago when I had a chance. Like steep but open areas, bowls. Slide 1,2 were close to my liking. (I didn't like slide 3 and 4.)
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
That is absurd.  Sorry you could not find anything.  Next time you are having trouble finding decent conditions  ask one of the hosts in the orange jacket.  The hill is huge with trail facing a lot of different directions.  You could/should have found great conditions on the groomers Friday

last run on Sunday

Sweet. High Country? Sugar Valley? None of the above? Gotta get back up to WF again this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by gkny
where do you usually ski? I only get to the face once or twice a year but I thought it excellent all weekend (fri-sat-sun). I was with skiing with my wife so kept it mellow and ski'd the main trails for the most part with a few excursions here and there -favorites being excelsior>Victoria, wilderness>lower mac and wilmington of course
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
In reply to this post by gkny
gkny wrote
tjf1967 wrote
That is absurd.
i wish. it was reality.
Your general categorization of the entire mountain as being 50% a block of ice is kind of absurd, because it wasn't/isn't.  Your personal observation that the places you chose to ski had typical windblown midwinter conditions isn't absurd, although I think your post-21 inch day may have jaded you a bit. 😉

Saturday I bailed early, but Mountain Run was in decent shape with a little ice to go along with lots of carve-able snow.  Other than the head wall on upper, Mackenzie was nice top to bottom.  Skyward (other than the head wall), Easy Street, Boreen were very good all weekend, with very little ice here or there.  Cloudspin was incredible all weekend.  Kids Kampus was nice.  As others have said, the good snow was out there, and still is.  Not sure where you skied, but if it was primarily Paron's or Follies to Excelsior to U/L Valley, with a run on Wilmington thrown in, I can understand some of your observations, especially if you were expecting day-after-the-storm perfect powder, packed powder and corduroy.  Did you make it off those thoroughfares?  Sorry you had a less than satisfying weekend.  In roughly 25 years of skiing at Whiteface, encompassing more than 200 days, I've had few days better than Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote
tjf1967 wrote
last run on Sunday

Sweet. High Country? Sugar Valley? None of the above? Gotta get back up to WF again this year.
I'm sure that's the off the beaten track lines he likes in Sugar Valley.   TJF, beer on me at lunch if you let me tag along next time we are both on the hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
 Ill buy you a beer for the offer.  I am in the bar at 5 every sat.   Unless you have big boobs and a sweet arse no tour for you. Ha only kidding kinda
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
No man boobs and a scrawny azz, I guess I'm SOL.  

My brother and I played around and found some nice turns in there a couple years ago, but we ended up at a stream bed that made for a bit of a slog.  I like exploring, it just eats up a chunk of day I never seem to have to spare, but you wanna play you gotta pay.  Guess I'm resigned to paying in Time.....

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your (ski) town,
Waiting for someone or something to show (me) the way.......
Reply | Threaded
|

Getting to Whiteface from Burlington Vermont

xWeatherMan
My family is going to be in Burlington on Saturday night and we are thinking of going to Whiteface on Sunday, which we rarely get to and have the Gore/Whiteface season passes. i was trying to figure out the best method and wondered if anyone on the list has experience. Maps recommends driving around by Crown point.  The ferries look shorter (and a lot more fun) but which one? The one that looks the best distance wise (Charlotte To Essex) only runs once an hour and I assume it may fill up? I guess if we miss it we could drive to the Crown Point bridge. there is also the one to Plattsburg that runs more often but is longer. Any advice?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Getting to Whiteface from Burlington Vermont

ScottyJack
the crown point drive is brutal, IMHO.  

(Ferry-wise) Charlotte/Essex is def shorter and a sweet drive but P-burg isn't bad option either so def go by ferry.  P-burgh to WF is easy drive on I87 to 9. Go through city of Plattsburgh along Lake Shore Drive to pick up I87 at exit 36.  Real pretty drive along the lake.  

that's what I'd do man.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
ScottyJack wrote

that's what I'd do man.  
I'd just stay in Burlington with the weather forecasted
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
the crown point drive is brutal, IMHO.  

(Ferry-wise) Charlotte/Essex is def shorter and a sweet drive but P-burg isn't bad option either so def go by ferry.  P-burgh to WF is easy drive on I87 to 9. Go through city of Plattsburgh along Lake Shore Drive to pick up I87 at exit 36.  Real pretty drive along the lake.  

that's what I'd do man.  
I'd agree ... Charlotte/Essex Ferry.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by xWeatherMan
xWeatherMan wrote
My family is going to be in Burlington on Saturday night and we are thinking of going to Whiteface on Sunday, which we rarely get to and have the Gore/Whiteface season passes. i was trying to figure out the best method and wondered if anyone on the list has experience. Maps recommends driving around by Crown point.  The ferries look shorter (and a lot more fun) but which one? The one that looks the best distance wise (Charlotte To Essex) only runs once an hour and I assume it may fill up? I guess if we miss it we could drive to the Crown Point bridge. there is also the one to Plattsburg that runs more often but is longer. Any advice?
I took the Charlotte/Essex ferry a few weeks ago from Stowe to Lake Placid.  Got there about 10 min before the 4pm ferry from VT.  That was plenty of time.

The other ferries don't run in the winter as I understand it.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Went yesterday.  Slides are in good shape.   The lines in SV are getting played.  Still had first tracks in the special placed but getting out is a bob sled ride.   The entire hill is convered in lots of snow.   Mark the tape.  Whiteface is going to have the longest season on record this year.  At this point there is no better hill in the east to ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Who else is going from wanting to BUY tjf a beer to wanting to throw a beer ON tjf if he mentions the super special secret Sugar Valley place one more time?!  But thanks, actually....
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
HA Dats larry.  The skidds will be in your pants
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Skidds
Skidds wrote
Who else is going from wanting to BUY tjf a beer to wanting to throw a beer ON tjf if he mentions the super special secret Sugar Valley place one more time?
Some of the guys who cut the super special secret SV places......  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
UT OH the Kind Of Whiteface showed up.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
SJ, lemme buy YOU a beer, sorry...beers, so we can discuss evils of tjf......and then you can show me around a bit, you know, to make sure the things you worked on so hard are skied properly, to protect them (after all, I'll find 'em one way or another).  I've been told you are the guy I need to talk to anyway....
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 17