classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface, NY: 3/21/11

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
36 hours ago, today's weather event was looking like a sleet/rain mix, but it turned out to be all snow -- I'd guess about five inches at the top of the gondola. The Summit chair was closed due to 45 mph wind at the top, at least that's what a liftie told me. Today's accumulation pushes Whiteface's reported year-to-date total to 230 inches.

Gore has a similar sign, but Whiteface's is a wee bit more legitimate.

I only make it to WF once every other year, but on my first few runs, I'm always surprised by how much vert there is. From the top of Little Whiteface or Lookout, to say nothing of the summit, that's a long way down:

Today was my first time skiing off the Lookout chair. Only the Wilmington trail was open, but I was impressed by how much terrain is potentially available over there (if the costs of trail cutting, snowmaking, lifts, and trail mileage limits weren't an issue). Here's the upper entrance to the Sugar Valley Glades:

Today's snow did a nice job covering up the refrozen base from yesterday's spring conditions, but as the day went on, the snow got grabby on the lower 800 verts, so I headed in at 2:30. I'll be back here tomorrow:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface, NY: 3/21/11

JasonWx
I haven't skied WF in 3yrs. I am always blown away with the vertical. When the WF is in prime condition, it is one of my favorite places to ski..Unfortunately Whiteface tends to be a bit Bipolar.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
JasonWx wrote
When WF is in prime condition, it is one of my favorite places to ski. Unfortunately Whiteface tends to be a bit bipolar.
True. Like anywhere in the east (even Jay Peak, which is at 329 inches YTD), you're only as good as today's conditions. Given Whiteface's above-average YTD snowfall, it's surprising to see stretches of off-piste terrain with very little snow -- due, I assume, to wind, rain, and anything else that you can think of. Everyone knows that Whiteface is a force of nature, which is part of the experience when you go there.

THAT'S MR. WHITEFACE TO YOU!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I never plan a trip to Whiteface. I decide to go when the weather is right. In my years, this seems to be best in the spring when it is sunny and temps over 40. Winter trips, even when snowing, can mean high winds and lift closures, lots of ice. I prefer spring conditions at Whiteface. Powder days are too fleeting for me to catch, as they usually happen on weekdays anyway.

Whiteface is still on the radar for April. We'll see how the weather goes.