Who made plans for a western ski destination this year?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Who made plans for a western ski destination this year?

campgottagopee
I've never skied west of Buffalo

traveling really isn't my thing

However, next year the A18 Gang will be taking our show on the road....destination TBD, but we're thinking Jackson Hole.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Here's how quickly things can change:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2012/01/11/ski-vacationers-trapped-in-austria-following-freak-snowfall/

"“The week before Christmas there were green fields in Ischgl,” one tour operator said. “People were praying for snow. Now they’re praying for it to stop.”"
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
I'd extend my vacation any day...
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
whoever is headed to the PNW is in for some goodness.

And Jackson picked up 6 inches last night, too.

UnofficialNetworks wrote
So if this precip map were to verify that would be a minimum of 5-6 feet for the mountains of Oregon and 4-5 up into Washington.
http://unofficialnetworks.com/prolonged-snow-event-pacific-nw-66379/
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
that's why i have been pushing bachelor so hard and now Mt Baker

from their site

Mt. Baker is the place to be for snow this season! We currently have the 3rd deepest snowpack in North America and have received over 239 inches of snowfall so far this season. Reports from our visitors are calling Mt. Baker the best for conditions in the USA!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
Yep, we'll be in Tahoe same as you as mentioned before.

Yesterday’s GFS had the storms while the European and Canadian models were dry.  Today they are flipped the other way with the GFS now dry and the Euro showing some big storms next week starting on Tuesday.  Here is todays 12z deterministic run of the Euro for next Wednesday in the heart of a storm that would drop 3-4 feet in a 36 hour period...."

I'm not banking on it, but it's nice to have a shimmer of light
Looks like Tahoe may be getting some action this week?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
This is in the category of be careful of what you wish for..

The weather for Tahoe will come alive, but with 100mph winds and rain up to 7500'..

UNCERTAINTY IN SNOW LEVELS BY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. RIDGE WINDS AND SURFACE GRADIENT WILL INCREASE RESULTING IN RIDGE GUSTS APPROACHING 100 MPH BY WED EVENING AND POTENTIAL LAKE WIND ADVISORIES.  

SHORTWAVE TROF PUSHES THROUGH THE REGION THURSDAY WHICH WILL MAINTAIN 100+ MPH RIDGE GUSTS AND BREEZY/WINDY CONDITIONS FOR VALLEY AREAS. FEW CHANGES MADE TO THE FORECAST ON THURSDAY AS MOISTURE CONTINUES TO STREAM SOUTH INTO THE SIERRA WITH PRECIPITATION PUSHING OVER INTO WRN NV VALLEYS, LIKELY IN THE FORM OF RAIN WITH DEEP MOISTURE AND STRONG RIDGE LEVEL WINDS IN PLACE. SNOW LEVELS LOOK TO REMAIN ELEVATED ABOVE LAKE LEVEL ON THURSDAY AT AROUND 6,500 FEET.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Whatever. I'm there 3/17. Let it snow.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Hey, Powderqueen, looks like you may luck out. (I'd still bring my rock skis) From the Squaw weatherman:

"It's time for the pattern change to produce some results.  Tonight we will have a strong cold front pushing through bringing cold air and maybe a dusting of snow. The cold air will stick around for the beginning of the week ahead of some big storms moving in around mid-week.

The first storm looks like it will push in Wednesday night and last through the day on Thursday. Right now it looks like the snow levels will stay above 7000 ft. until later on Thursday. Total snowfall on the upper half of the mountain with this first storm looks to be in the 1-2 foot range.

Then there is a much stronger storm that will push in on Friday and last into Saturday. The snow levels may start as high as 8000 ft. with the subtropical origin of the moisture and then fall below base level Friday night as a cold front approaches. The amount of snow looks significant with this storm but how much is stlll in question as the forecast models vary a little.  The Europen model shows about 2-4 feet while the GFS shows 4-6 feet possible on the mountain. This could be a major storm so we will have to keep watching for new details to come in.

There are more storms behind these for later next weekend into the following week. These storms look a little colder and could be decent strength as well. The teleconnection foreasts stay favorable for the storms to continue over the next two weeks. Stay tuned for updates.  BA"

funny like a clown