classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
43 messages Options
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wilmington in the news

sig
not really related but i had a few beers at golf and this thread seems like a good place to vent. me and the wife are hike crane mountain in the spring and some douchebag is blasting his music on the way up. what makes him think i want to hear his shit music , especially in this setting. just great full the flat-lander could not climb and i quickly put him in the rear view mirror.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
sig wrote
not really related but i had a few beers at golf and this thread seems like a good place to vent. me and the wife are hike crane mountain in the spring and some douchebag is blasting his music on the way up. what makes him think i want to hear his shit music , especially in this setting. just great full the flat-lander could not climb and i quickly put him in the rear view mirror.
i hate that stuff, especially on the trail.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Haha, I get annoyed just sitting at red lights in the summer at people playing their music loud enough that everyone else around has to hear it too.

I need my space from others and if I'm around too many people I get really agitated and anxious. Unless I'm drunk or riding a tram, then I don't give a damn.

We have the same issues here in AZ. With a huge population center to the south of primarily life long desert dwellers they tend to screw things up in the high country during their weekend outings. It's unfortunate that after their bad behavior stricter laws, permit processes, limitations, and even full on closures usually follow.

Luckily there is enough room to get away from em all here, you just need to stay clear of the most popular areas and take off for the less beaten path or no path at all. The ponderosa forests are great for off trail travel and I can generally get out all day even on the busiest weekends and not see another soul after a few hundred feet from the trail head.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
great articles from the Sun Community!  Big trail work day coming on Saturday, September 24 with appreciation party to follow that afternoon at Cadence Lodge.   Hope to see some peeps there!

Nice immediate thread drift PeeTex.  Show some respect for Coach Z and try and stay on topic.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Back to Wilmington I think there is plenty of capacity for more trail use and the town is really starting to come into its own.  I like the idea of trying to connect all the trails to the town center.  If Hardy could be somehow connected with a trail that would be awesome.
key commercial properties for sale in Wilmington that would kill it as Mtn Bike lodging:

Wilderness Inn
Steinhoff's
Holiday Inn
Whiteface Chalet (on Indian Rock)

Wilderness Inn on Rt 86 has a motivated seller.  Original owner.  Wants to retire and head south for good this winter.  Bunch of cabins and a cozy restaurant and bar.  Property has potential to link to flume community connector that will be built next year.

Steinhoffs is pretty much a re-build but man it's directly across from the bottom of PMD

Holiday Inn has been renovated some by Little Souper Owner.  He is looking for someone to lease bar/restaurant for 1000 a month.

Whiteface Chalet could be converted into 4-5 condo type units.  Short road ride to Flume trail head and bit longer road ride to Hardy.  

Wilmington needs a good wood fired pizza joint too.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
here's another success business idea based on muscle power adk recreation.  this would work great in the Wink at Up A Creek dinner at Rt 86

http://www.thehubadk.com/
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
I think that the right new owner with a good chef could kill it with the Wilderness.  Its the most established of the places in town and has a loyal following.

Wilmington is totally ripe for a brewery in that spot at the Holiday Motel.  HPD you should get your daughter and son in law up here to do what they did for Hammo's.

I had thought that Stienhof's was already sold to the Eastern Euros from LP.  No?  

Look at how busy the Trout was all summer and personally I think the food is overrated and overpriced there.  Wilmington is certainly moving up.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Coach Z wrote
I think that the right new owner with a good chef could kill it with the Wilderness.  Its the most established of the places in town and has a loyal following.
Me too.  Dropped from 725K to 425K

Coach Z wrote
I had thought that Stienhof's was already sold to the Eastern Euros from LP.  No?  
you are correct.  and you know that nothing will happen for years to come....  sad, very sad.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Wilmington is certainly moving up.
yep.  stoked we got in when we did.  things gonna pop before I retire.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
ScottyJack wrote
Coach Z wrote
Me too.  Dropped from 725K to 425K

Coach Z wrote
you are correct.  and you know that nothing will happen for years to come....  sad, very sad.
I heard someone say that they were doing an EB-5 thing with the hotel on the corner they are SLOWLY renovating.  I would think that there would be some press if that was happening locally but who knows I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The two times our crew stayed at Wilderness Inn we had a blast. The lady who owns the joint is a real hoot. Sorry to hear it's up for sale --- bummer.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
Coach - did you hear the latest?  Roy has a tentative lease signed with a local guy from Jay to open the "Pourman's Tap Room" at the Whiteface Corners property.  Contingent on all state and local approvals they hope to be open by Chritmas.

Whiteface Corners is the old Holiday Inn property at the four corners
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I didn't hear the name
Good connection to the mt biking
Will it just be a bar or also have food?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Scotty did you see the letter to the editor in the Valley News from the old geezer bitching about how no body in Wilmington wanted to live in the Mts bike capital of the Daks?  how exactly are mt bikes ruining the town?  Wilmington has it going on especially compared to Jay.  

The only issue I can see getting a bit out of control is the proliferation of those rental houses.  The house next to me used to be a rental which is a pain to live next too.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I didn't see it.  I'll go look.  I love reading the angry native pieces!  

correction on spelling of new tavern - its actually poUrman's tap room.  I think they have to have food in order to get state liquor license
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Ha!  Clarence Anderson - aka the texas turtle!!  He's from old texas oil money.  a crazy coot who lives near the hardy/Springfield rd intersection.  stole the first wooden hardy road sign and got caught a few years back by DEC for slashing tires in the flume lot.  

he drives a small green pick up and talks real slow.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Scotty

what is your take on the rental house issue?  If they are not paying the county bed tax and in competition with the legit lodging establishments I am against them.  

There also is a theory that they raise the housing market costs for local families which make it harder to live in the area.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I concur.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
ScottyJack wrote
Ha!  Clarence Anderson - aka the texas turtle!!  He's from old texas oil money.  a crazy coot who lives near the hardy/Springfield rd intersection.  stole the first wooden hardy road sign and got caught a few years back by DEC for slashing tires in the flume lot.  

he drives a small green pick up and talks real slow.  
I always forgot to ask if that sign theft was resolved... So is the Hardy sign that's in place now the same one that went missing or did he destroy the original?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
new sign.  never found the original one.
I ride with Crazy Horse!