classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Winter Stoke for Kids at Story Time

Harvey
Administrator
Zelda brought home this book tonight about a guy named Snowshoe Thompson.

Base on a true (?) story about a Norwegian guy who immigrates to the Sierra.

The story is that there's no mail in Northern Cali after early December because the snow is too deep to get over the pass. So he fashions these incredibly long boards and delivers the mail.

This guy is the real deal. Those boards must be 300 cm long and he teles with a lurk. It takes him five days to get over the mountains and he only carries some beef jerky.

We have a few others that we like. One is just called "Snow."

We end up taking them to the mountains and reading them on nights when it's snowing.

Anybody got any others they like?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Winter Stoke for Kids at Story Time

Goreskimom
The only skiing specific book I have for kids is "The Race of the Birkebeiners" by Lise Lunge.  We have some great Christmas/Snow titles that we love.  Even my "tween" will gather around to hear a story read aloud.  We also have a book called "Snow" that we love by Uri Shulevitz.  

Titles that get us psyched for winter:

"Owl Moon"     Jane Yolen
"Winter Is The Warmest Season"     Lauren Stringer
"One Snowy Night"     Butler & McNaughton
"Winter's Gift"     Jane Monroe Davidson
"The Very Snowy Christmas"    Diana Hendry
"A Wish To Be A Christmas Tree"    Colleen Monroe
"City of Snow"     Linda Oatman HIgh
"Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening"  Robert Frost/Illustrated by Susan Jeffers

Enjoy!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I usually make up ski stories and include the names of favorite characters (Pooh and Piglet) and whatever trails we normally ski. I did it for my son and now I do it for my daughter. They both seem to enjoy it and like the same versions over and over until they know it so well they comment when I change it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
This post was updated on .
Harv, that sounds a lot like Breckenridge...

"...the first documented use of skis in Colorado took place right here in Breckenridge. The idea started in the winter of 1859-60. Ten men were trapped in a snow-locked mining camp along the Blue River, near present-day Breckenridge. They constructed skis from pine or spruce trees and used them to transport provisions. These 25-pound skis ranged from 8-14 feet in length, and were usually 1/2 inch thick and about 4 inches wide. A single 8-10 feet long pole was used to steer and to brake. Since turning on these skis was impossible, skiers had to step around the poles in order to change directions.

Many historians believe that had it not been for skis, it would have taken the State of Colorado another decade to develop"

http://www.epicski.com/a/brief-history-of-breckenridge-by-lisa-mercer

I also believe the town is named after a Preacher who skiied around preaching to the mining camps on skis.  Breckinridge-Breckenridge.

There must be 100's of storys of skiing saving a community, you would think?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.