World's Best Performing Ski Area

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: World's Best Performing Ski Area

snoloco
Denver works well for me because I can get a nonstop out of Newark.  Exponentially less chance of being delayed/cancelled and because there's so many more flights, if you do get cancelled, it's easier to get rebooked.  If you can time the flights properly, you won't hit traffic on I70.  We didn't hit traffic having to drive all the way from Steamboat.  You can be at Winter Park in less than 2 hours from Denver and you don't go through the tunnel, so less traffic.  My dad skied there quite a bit when he was my age and skied with his dad (who's now 87 years old).
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I do like Winter Park.  I've been there I think 3 weeks total but 2 of them were back in College.  The drive is a bit better.  Most of the flight back east are in the morning so typically you need to go stay down near the airport the night before and that means driving down to Denver in post skiing traffic.  I think I just like SLC better now for the whole package.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
Most of the flight back east are in the morning so typically you need to go stay down near the airport the night before and that means driving down to Denver in post skiing traffic.  I think I just like SLC better now for the whole package.
Wrong.  My flight back from Denver last time was in the afternoon.  I've flown out of there before to EWR and it was afternoon.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Most of the flight back east are in the morning so typically you need to go stay down near the airport the night before and that means driving down to Denver in post skiing traffic.
Huh? You can ski at Loveland or WP until early afternoon and take one of several late afternoon nonstops to EWR or LGA.

You must be talking about flying to Albany.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
yes if you want to connect to ALB or BVT you need to pretty much leave in the morning.  You certainly cant ski that day unless you want to take the red eye which I have given up doing a long time ago.l
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Correct me if I'm wrong on the timing but I think you can be at Snowbird in about 5 hours from Newark. Maybe less. I think that's one of the big attractions to Utah. It's only like a 15 or 20 minute drive from the airport to LCC. It's hard to justify going to Coloado to ski Breck or WP if you are an expert skier.

So you like WP coach? I'm sort of surprised, I haven't skied there but I have always been under the impression that it's not a super great ski area. I have always thought of it being comparable to Park City. I have heard that it's either mogul skiing or flat. That being said I'm sure I could have plenty of fun skiing there. I'm not really picky
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
raisingarizona wrote
Park City
Don't light the fuze...  

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Haha! I didn't realize you had s sense of humor like that Sno. That's seriously funny
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Winter Park is much better than PC.  The snow comes from the sky not guns on the lower mt.  Mary Jane has lots of bumps.  The lower sections of WP side are more like Copper and have some good cruisers.  Up high there is a big open bowl and a hike able ridge.  There also is a high elevation terrain pod called Eagle Wind which has really great tree skiing.

I prefer it to Summit Co for sure.  Much less crowded and it does a good job of spreading people out.  The base area is greatly improved with Interwest running it.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
I prefer it to Summit Co for sure.  Much less crowded and it does a good job of spreading people out.  The base area is greatly improved with Interwest running it.
That's weird that it's less crowded than Summit County, yet is the closest big mountain to Denver.  Much more affordable than Vail's four overpriced, overrated, overcrowded, homogenized amusement parks as well.  

Steamboat was very uncrowded when I was there on a holiday week.  Only the gondola, Sundown, Sunshine, and Elkhead lifts ever had a line.  I believe you can park right near the lift for free at WP of you start at Maryjane or the Cabriolet.  You're not parking for free anywhere Vail-owned unless you are taking a bus to the lodge.  How is it that the less expensive mountains providing the better ski experience?  I thought you get what you pay for.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Summit county is crowded because of the Epic local pass.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
So you like WP coach? I'm sort of surprised, I haven't skied there but I have always been under the impression that it's not a super great ski area. I have always thought of it being comparable to Park City.
As I mentioned in my article a few years ago, whether you're a bump freak or not, the Mary Jane side is a fun time. The Winter Park side felt a lot like The Canyons, but has its selling points too.