classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Yet another knee story

gorgonzola
tjf1967 wrote
I would avoid the dr and hospitals they went to.  I know dozens of people that have had the replacements done with only one complication.  Just met another one this morning.  He is getting his hip done in august.
This! Since having my hip replaced it seems i can't spit without hitting folks crushing it with new parts
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Dude you are not getting any younger. Go get two new knees. 8 months later you are back in business with no pain.
I agree with this.

We all only have a limited time on this planet. Do the things now that will make your later life better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
This post was updated on .
Thanks for all the advice but I'm going as far as I can with the parts I have, at least until I have to restrict my activities. At this point I don't think a surgeon would do a replacement anyway.  The only arthritis symptom I have is that my jnee stiffens up if I don't move enough, so maybe it's a net plus for fitness.

The meniscus is another thing.  Yesterday I decided to have the surgery, today I'm nor so sure.

Mostly I'm old and cranky about everything.  NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Milo Maltbie wrote
Thanks for all the advice but I'm going as far as I can with the parts I have, at least until I have to restrict my activities. At this point I don't think a surgeon would do a replacement anyway.  The only arthritis symptom I have is that my jnee stiffens up if I don't move enough, so maybe it's a net plus for fitness.

The meniscus is another thing.  Yesterday I decided to have the surgery, today I'm nor so sure.

Mostly I'm old and cranky about everything.  NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

mm
Try it.
https://usplabsdirect.com/products/supercissus
I don't rip, I bomb.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
What surgery are you considering?

I recently listed to a podcast on micro fracture surgery in knees on ESPNs Fantasy football focus
It’s dated May 24 I looked it up but can’t figure out how to link it here
and available for free on in the Apple podcast app
It talks about the return to sport success rates of different surgical alternatives.  In your situation I’d say it’s a must listen to.

Edit
Link is here
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fantasy-focus-football/id260537420?mt=2&i=1000412243039

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Z wrote
What surgery are you considering?

I recently listed to a podcast on micro fracture surgery in knees on ESPNs Fantasy football focus
It’s dated May 24 I looked it up but can’t figure out how to link it here
and available for free on in the Apple podcast app
It talks about the return to sport success rates of different surgical alternatives.  In your situation I’d say it’s a must listen to.

Edit
Link is here
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fantasy-focus-football/id260537420?mt=2&i=1000412243039
I've got arthritis and bad meniscus in both knees, the left one is worse.  One surgeon recommended micro fracture surgery, and said there was a 50% chance of success.  At least he was up front about that.  Google "alternatives to microfracture surgery" and there are newer procedures.

The surgeon I went to for a second opinion prescribed an unloader brace, which keeps my knee from bowing.  Ran a half marathon with it the day b4 I ran into Z at the brewpub.

Concur with Z's earlier post in the thread about most of the movement coming from the hips.  Ankles and knees are supposed to be mobile, knees are supposed to be stable.  If you have limited hip mobility you might consult a physical therapist or a fitness pro who knows corrective exercise.

EDIT:  sharing this as the search above yielded stories about pro athletes who blamed the premature end to their careers on micro fracture surgery.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
What's the life span of an artificial knee?  I think hips are on the order of 10 years.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
D.B. Cooper wrote
What's the life span of an artificial knee?  I think hips are on the order of 10 years.....
My impression is that the standard statement in advance is 10 years for an artificial knee but actual experience varies a great deal.

Recently met a former instructor who has two artificial knees.  He's a big man over 70.  Played college football.  Still having fun at destination resorts out west and near his home in NH.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
Not sure about the knees but my surgeon told me my hip should last 20+ years and could outlast me (maybe he knows something I don't )
I have a friend the same age (early/mid fifties) who opted for a resurface with the thought he would get a THR down the road for the sake of longevity. I wanted the max performance out of the joint NOW while I'm "young", healthy and reasonably fit. Who knows what the future holds, I hope it;s not the case but my fake hip could be the least of my worries in 15 years...
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Dude you are not getting any younger. Go get two new knees. 8 months later you are back in business with no pain.

After my meniscus repair, I was advised by a surgeon in Colorado who is considered one of the best (Dr. Janes of Vail Summit Ortho, give him a call. Nice place to get the repair, and no problem flying back) to never run again (I don't, anyway) stay away from skiing bumps, bike a lot, and just nurse it until I'm in my 70s, and then go artificial, so that I won't have to do it again. And this was a guy who spent his career repairing knees. It was like a car mechanic bemoaning the fact that all you have to do is bolt in new parts these days, instead of actually fixing stuff. Since then I've met four or five oldsters with great stories about their fake joints. It's very encouraging for my generation that's dropping into old age, especially active people. Just forty to fifty years ago, bad kness and hips would have stopped you from doing almost anything active, down to just getting around, and quickly led to other physical ailments due to that inactivity, and, also, depression. Now, it's just, get me a new part, and we're back. And Medicare pays for most of it!
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Knee arthroscopy this afternoon.  I'm really hungry and thirsty but I can't eat or drink.  OTOH my knee really urt this morning do I'm glad it's gonna be done.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
GOOD LUCK. Let us know how it goes.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Best of luck , stay positive , you 'll b back !!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Thanks, but nobody told me this was gonna depend on luck!  WTF!?!

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
smart man. Fix it.  Heal it. Rip on it!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Surgery went well yesterday. They gave me crutches but I never used them. I have hardly any pain at all after I woke up from surgery, but the Registered Nurse Dominatrix I live with made me take Advil this AM to prevent swelling.

On the up side, the prescription painkillers have a street value of about $4000.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Use the crutches.  Dont be a caveman.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
The surgeon said move and walk on it as much as I am comfortable.  That's what I'm doing.

I'm really surprized that there is very little pain, even when I walk for 10 or 20 minutes.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Hey great news !! but eont be a damn hero listen to that Nurse dominatrx  she has your best interest at heart
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I went back to the doctor today. I’m cleared to do anything I want. My Registered Nurses Dominatrix didn’t take that too well, but she’ll get over it.

Apparently I have the knees of a 40 year old man, with no signs of arthritis. So good news all around.  

mm