hockey or figure skates?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

hockey or figure skates?

freeheeln
we have a pond on our property been fitting in a bit of ice skating  in between work, skiing and chores . been alternating between hockey and figure skates trying to determine which i like best. i grew up ice skating , nibco field , all thru my school days . i always had figure skates .trying to determine which i like better.kinda like deciding between gs and slalom skiis.empty front pants pockets makes face first falls less painful
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: hockey or figure skates?

poindexter
I'm a serious figure skater, so I'm a little biased, but figure skates are definitely more stable. You can do a lot more cool tricks too.  However, unless you have a decent figure skate sharpener in the area, hockey skates are the way to go.  There are only two good figure skate sharpeners on Long Island where I live, and it's a huge ordeal for me to get a sharpening.  My kids play hockey, and every rink in the area has a shop that can do those in a minute.  My only other tip is to wear a helmet with a face mask if you use hockey skates - without the toe pick, there is a tendency to pitch forward. Is your pond frozen this year? I'm jealous. It's like April down here, and nothing is frozen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: hockey or figure skates?

freeheeln
yea the pond has been frozen for quite some time. the surface condition varies depending on temps and sun.its amazing how much melting occur s when a leaf gets on the surface.its the size of a small hockey rink.thinking we need to have a skating party bonfire hotdogs hot chocolate.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.